Could anything bad happen by doing this?

flibberdipper

For my laptop, I have two wall-to-brick cords. I was thinking about just leaving one constantly plugged into the wall, and then just taking the brick off and leaving just the cord plugged in when I leave on the weekends. Could anything really negligible/downright bad happen from doing this?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

For my laptop, I have two wall-to-brick cords. I was thinking about just leaving one constantly plugged into the wall, and then just taking the brick off and leaving just the cord plugged in when I leave on the weekends. Could anything really negligible/downright bad happen from doing this?

No, not really. I guess someone could trip on it, maybe mistake it as a snek.

when you leave converters like that plugged in the constantly draw power, unplugging them will save a little electricity but other than that theres nothing wrong with it 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

when you leave converters like that plugged in the constantly draw power, unplugging them will save a little electricity but other than that theres nothing wrong with it 

There is no converter in a cord.

As long as you don't put a paper clip in there or something else and nobody sets a trap you'll be fine.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

No problem- all the contacts are isolated. The only issue I see here is that as its going to be on the ground- even the smallest amount of water could get in- ie.a glass of water falling is more likely to enter the termination and bridge the contacts than if it were inserted into the brick.

The other issue is that the longer you leave anything plugged in- the plug connectors oxidize over time- but its not a meaningful amount- for example people have fridges plugged in for years and years- but depending on the socket, it can be faster. Basically this is because there is imperfect contact between the wall and the plug- because of design.

^thats like the tiniest thing and It was very difficult to think of... lol, be safe!

No, not really. I guess someone could trip on it, maybe mistake it as a snek.

heheheheheheheheheheheheh no Two reasons why: One: This is going in a little cabinet. Dos: Even the cables in the cabinet are going to be managed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

heheheheheheheheheheheheh no Two reasons why: One: This is going in a little cabinet. Dos: Even the cables in the cabinet are going to be managed.

yeah, no problem with this. I have a few like this right now, and did this for years at a computer shop for the workbenches. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

There is no converter in a cord.

As long as you don't put a paper clip in there or something else and nobody sets a trap you'll be fine.

lap top cables usually have external bricks as part of the cord... its not just a straight cord 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

I do this all the time. It's all good.

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

lap top cables usually have external bricks as part of the cord... its not just a straight cord 

fyi- he said he wants to remove the "brick" to take with him... so hes leaving only the extender behind-

ACTUALLY IT COULD BE DANGEROUS IF ITS AN APPLE ONE- THOSE THINGS ARE EXPOSED-ish!!!

OP WATCH OUT!!!

fyi- he said he wants to remove the "brick" to take with him... so hes leaving only the extender behind-

ACTUALLY IT COULD BE DANGEROUS IF ITS AN APPLE ONE- THOSE THINGS ARE EXPOSED-ish!!!

OP WATCH OUT!!!

uhh... they shouldnt be. also your username is hilarious. 10/10.