How to dispose of a damaged lithium battery?

I replaced the battery on my dad's Z3 compact, but I'm not sure how I should dispose of the damaged (inflated battery), I know you're not supposed to put it with the regular trash.

Also I'm curious to know what happens if you were to throw the battery with the regular trash, what kind of possible environmental damage could happen?

I replaced the battery on my dad's Z3 compact, but I'm not sure how I should dispose of the damaged (inflated battery), I know you're not supposed to put it with the regular trash.

Also I'm curious to know what happens if you were to throw the battery with the regular trash, what kind of possible environmental damage could happen?

There are undesirable chemicals that could affect life that stems from groundwater streams and stuff like that if it made it into landfill.

Just go to an electrical waste place and make sure that they'll deal with it properly?

Sig under construction.

Lithium explodes/combusts when it reacts with oxygen, so if the casing of a Li-ion battery is punctured at any time (such as while it's tossed around and mixed with other waste) it's a fire and safety hazard to waste management facilities and workers.

Kinda the same idea as why you're not supposed to throw gasoline containers in the regular garbage if they're not empty.

They have special waste areas for such things like battery's.

Take it there and don't throw in regular trash.

1Mq7.jpg

Funny how linus releases a video about recycling of electronics the same day of this post. Sadly there are no recycling centers/bins in the area so I will keep the battery in my house until I get the chance to be in that area (I don't want to drive 2 hours each direction just to throw a battery).

Anyway thank you for your replies, I won't throw it in the regular trash.