US Moto X in Australia?

Wysoseriouss

Hey all,

I really want the new Moto X Style (or Pure as it's known in the US) and attempted today to buy one from Vodafone who has an exclusive contract to sell them here in Australia. However, I wanted to buy one outright as many publications have said would be available, only to be told that I cannot buy one outright from them as of the 29th of September (yesterday) and can only get one on a plan.

So I had a thought, if I used Moto Maker to create my own Moto X and had it shipped here somehow, I could save money, and have a moto maker phone :). I just need to find out if anyone knows if a US phone model would work in Australia. I would probably have to change some settings to get it to recognise my SIM, but other than that, is there anything I would need to be aware of in getting this to work?

EDIT: I should also point out that shipping won't be an issue as Australia Post offers a service where they can get stuff shipped to Australia from the US that wouldn't normally be available to do so.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

Should do , let me know if you have issues as I can get them in on my online store (Adelaide boy).

Update: So I just looked at the actual specs of the Moto X Pure, specifically the Network and Bands section.

Networks

LTE cat. 6 capable
WCDMA
CDMA
EV-DO
GSM/EDGE

Bands

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)

Optus, my current provider, uses GSM bands 900 and 1800. So, in my limited knowledge of these things, it seems to me that this would work. But I could be wrong. I do have hope now though :)

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

Update: So I just looked at the actual specs of the Moto X Pure, specifically the Network and Bands section.

Networks

LTE cat. 6 capable

WCDMA

CDMA

EV-DO

GSM/EDGE

Bands

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)

CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)

Optus, my current provider, uses GSM bands 900 and 1800. So, in my limited knowledge of these things, it seems to me that this would work. But I could be wrong. I do have hope now though :)

idc if its gsm, or if all bands are compatible. is the us version of the phone carrier unlocked?

idc if its gsm, or if all bands are compatible. is the us version of the phone carrier unlocked?

The Moto maker version has an unlocked option yes.

The Moto maker version has an unlocked option yes.

ok, then it should be fine. its a noice phone.

An Update for anyone who may be intersted in this thread. My Motomaker order went through and I was all set to get my new phone, then they cancelled the order on me as they detected that the address I gave them was a freight forwarding service. That happened last night and I was told my refund should go through sometime during the week.

A little sad that Motorola don't want people using freight forwarding services as the Moto X is now more difficult to get here in Australia :( Unless I want to lock in with Vodafone....and screw that.

Just a little heads up for anyone who sees this thread and decides to do the same, don't bother as motomaker won't let you ship to a forwarding service.

Edit: If I no longer post on this thread, assume that my refund came back through ok, if I have any issues with it, I will post again just to keep people informed of what it's like to deal with Motorola from another country.