PC won't POST, used USB Flashback, still receiving power, but turns off immediately

likwidsolutions
Go to solution Solved by Litargirio,

Unplug all of the PSU cables and grab the 24-pin motherboard cable. Using a clip or a wire, short the green with any of the black wires.

FAV43W1FDSE96WK.LARGE.jpg

If the wires are all black, calculate where the green wire would be using this image. Look at the plastic clip in the middle, and make sure you don't short the wrong cable, or you'll blow the PSU up! 

Do that and check if the unit stays on. If it does, don't leave it on for too long. If it doesn't, it's faulty.

Please forgive any typos I'm using my phone and I can't type on my phone so I use speech to text.

So I don't have a bunch of parts to troubleshoot my computer. I know that's one of the benefits of building but I'm not quite there yet. I'm guessing it's either my motherboard or were my CPU for my power supply.

But the weird thing is I don't think it's anything but the motherboard because it's a Maximus VII formula which doesnt need to have anything connected to it but the power supply to turn on. I tried using USB flash back and it was the same exact thing call it flashed or something and turned off immediately, that's what it was doing last night. Basically the motherboard receives power because of my Kraken x61 is lit up as well as the Republic of Gamers logo on my motherboard and I don't know if it's supposed to light up or not until its turned on but my EVGA 980 ti is not lighting up. I do not think it's the RAM because I have four modules so even if one went bad then I would still have three others. Also I don't think it is the CPU as the power supply should provide power to the motherboard even without a CPU. I just don't know what's wrong and I really don't wanna have to save the motherboard.

The power supply is a Corsair 760i and it has a self-powered test and I don't know exactly what is trying to tell me but basically it's red win it not turn on but when I try to turn it on it goes green for a second and then just the computer cuts out and it goes back to read so I don't know if it's supposed to be green at all times and if that's the case then well I lucked out and I can get a power supply relatively cheap. But I don't want to go by 1 if that's not the problem so I'm just trying to get some advice on here because I know you guys can't tell me what the problem is but he might have a better idea than I. V main thing is I just need to have some guidance in in getting this thing up and running by the next day or two because I can't afford to not have a computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If you have one bad stick of RAM, even if the other three are fine, it could cause a system to fail to post but not cause a system to not power on. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Not sure if this will help at all but my friend bought my old Crosshair V Extreme and accidentally not installed the ram all the way, which caused it not to post, i fixed everything and then went to turn it on and it still wouldnt post. after a long time of beating my head against the wall i had to do the process to clear the CMOS (cant remember exact procedure but something like taking everything out except for a stick of ram and hitting the button...cant remember though its been a while) after i did that i put it all back together and sure enough it posted...not sure if thats whats going on but might help. Best of luck to you

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

Unplug all of the PSU cables and grab the 24-pin motherboard cable. Using a clip or a wire, short the green with any of the black wires.

FAV43W1FDSE96WK.LARGE.jpg

If the wires are all black, calculate where the green wire would be using this image. Look at the plastic clip in the middle, and make sure you don't short the wrong cable, or you'll blow the PSU up! 

Do that and check if the unit stays on. If it does, don't leave it on for too long. If it doesn't, it's faulty.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking about taking apart everything and just building it up from the ground up putting all the necessary parts in the necessary places before trying to put more parts in because it was working last night as I have two NVME Intel 750 Drives, + 3 Samsung 850 Evo drives and I was trying to initialize the Evo drives but it wasn't working and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I what is using envienme drive so I took those out and tried to use Windows on a different hard drive and and then install or initialize the other drives which I couldn't get to work but right now I'm more concerned with just getting the computer started up . Luckily I have my grandfather coming over to let me use his laptop for the time being but it's rather crappy because it's running an AMD a8 I don't know what that is but I'm not an AMD guy, but the one really crappy part is it only has one stick of RAM and it's SODIMM and I don't have a bunch of those lying around so the biggest dick I have is 8 GB but it's not as if I'm trying to game here I just need to do some basic work but at the same time I'd like to be able to troubleshoot things I wish I had a friend with a power supply or something but I just don't a lot of computer savvy friends. So I guess it can't hurt to build it from the ground up considering that there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the computer other than the fact that it won't post. The building I live in is rather old and it doesn't even have grounded electricity but of course I do have a power and it doesn't show that it's been overloaded or anything so I don't think that anything with the electricity happen but it's very possible I shorted something and I just don't know what it is or maybe I unplug the cable so I guess we'll have to find out I think I'll just use my test bench for this. But if anyone else has any other advice I would highly appreciate it because right now I am not only in a bit of a quandary I have some legal business to take care of as well as actual business. So it is very important to have a working computer and I won't have that laptop until later this evening

Okay, while I didn't get a chance to read many of your messages, especially the prior one, which was actually the problem, all of them were perfect for just leading me to take it apart and i was going to pull out the test bench but i figured id unplug everything except I plugged me PSU by itself, and it did the Self Test just fine. Basically it would show a green light and then turn off, it was no connected to anything. Of all the things....one of the ATX Power Cables was loose on my PSU. I have a Noctis 450, I also have the H440 because I didn't know they the same inside. It's a great case for cable managment and hiding cables, but it's really nice that the PSU shroud covers the cables and let's you have spot for cable management, but damn is it hard to mess around once things are in there. I learned a damn good lesson today, hook up the cable and then do the PSU cabling last. since my PSU just goes in the the big. But I realized as soon as I start unplugging everything that the ATX 24 Pin was loose on the Power Supply >.> But the Noctis 450/H440 has nice spots to hide cables but I learned my lesson to not hook things up and then shove them in there, I connected everything to my MB and then ran those as close as I could to the outside of the PSU case for easier access, it might be easier to connect the PSU and then move the cables through. 

Thanks for you help guys, all I really needed was to just take it apart (i really love building but when one computer that is your main driver, and in this case my only one; I've put nearly 5k in this, I should probably build an iTX or mATX and I definitely see the advantage of why people would choose those because there's less to deal with even if you have a smaller case, and at least I'd have extra parts for diagnosis, use it for an HTPC and In Home Steam Streaming (I have a NVIDIA Shield and it can do decent streaming but you can't really mess with the FPS rates but for how small the damn thing is, it's nice. I can't wait til NVIDIA Grid has a large selection even if it has a subscription.