My EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Comes Tomorrow!

Khajiit Dealer
Go to solution Solved by Litargirio,

piuMeFD.jpg?1

Cables you need to remove, besides monitor cable and SLI bridge

Screws you need to remove (should be 2 of them for each)

Lever you need to push on (one per graphics card).

I'm extremely excited to be getting a GPU more powerful than a Titan X out of the box! While I am extremely excited, I'm also nervous that I'll break something in my current rig. I was wondering if any of you could give me a step-by-step guide on how to remove my 2 660 Ti's and replace them with my 980 Ti. I'd also like to know how to remove all my drivers to make sure I don't screw the pooch and end up destroying my new pricey card right away. Here are the pictures of the inside of my rig (don't mind the dust, it builds character)

174qUid.jpg

zXgzCJQ.jpg

bNNoY2H.jpg

0V5f7mL.jpg

Here's a reward in advance for helping me out: 

A0cZnv1.jpg?1

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

That Dust, all that Dust  :o

You should do something about it.

To your Question.

Just uninstall the Cards, install the new one. Install the driver and klick "new installation" in the driveroptiones. Done.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

That Dust, all that Dust  :o

You should do something about it.

To your Question.

Just uninstall the Cards, install the new one. Install the driver and klick "new installation" in the driveroptiones. Done.

Define "uninstall", I'm worried that I'm gonna break something when I take these things out. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

It's held up fine with my 2 660 Ti's, which take up more power than my 980 Ti. 

Ye was more pointing out the CX PSU rather than the 750 watts

Ye was more pointing out the CX PSU rather than the 750 watts

I figure if it can take the abuse of me OCing two power hungry cards, it can take the abuse of a high-end card.

I have a 3 year warranty on my GPU so I'm not too worried. I'm just waiting for the PSU to inevitably die  :)

You need a guide to unplug the pcie cables,and to remove the cards from the pcie slot?

Yes. I'm almost certain I could do it myself but a lot of cash is on the line so I like getting advice/help from people with experience. 

Define "uninstall", I'm worried that I'm gonna break something when I take these things out. 

Unplug the power cable from the wall, ground yourself on the case (touch the metal), unplug the monitor cables from the graphics cards, unplug the power cables from the graphics cards, unscrew the pci brackets, take off the SLI bridge, press the release tab for PCIe slots, pull cards out, reverse the order for new card install.

1. Remove cables to PSU and monitor, as well as the SLI bridge.
  2. Unscrew the screws from the PCIe bracket at its left. At this point hold the graphics card so it doesn't bend downwards and break its slot, since nothing will prevent it from doing so.
  3. Look for the lever at the right end of the PCIe slot, that looks similar to the ones on the RAM slots. Press down on it, and pull the thing out of the slot.

One by one; top one first, then bottom one.

Edited by Litargirio

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Aehm..just remove them, unplug cables, pull ém out the PCIe Slot...

Do the oposite what you did to get them in. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Unplug the power cable from the wall, ground yourself on the case (touch the metal), unplug the monitor cables from the graphics cards, unplug the power cables from the graphics cards, unscrew the pci brackets, take off the SLI bridge, press the release tab for PCIe slots, pull cards out, reverse the order for new card install.

1. Remove cables sticking out of it.
  2. Unscrew the screws from the PCIe bracket at its left. At this point hold the graphics card so it doesn't bend downwards and break its slot, since nothing will prevent it from doing so.
  3. Look for the lever at the right end of the PCIe slot, that looks similar to the ones on the RAM slots. Press down on it, and pull the thing out of the slot.

One by one; top one first, then bottom one.

Aehm..just remove them, unplug cables, pull ém out the PCIe Slot...

Do the oposite what you did to get them in. 

Is there a picture guide to this? I'm worried that I'm gonna unscrew a part of my mobo or something by accident. 

Is there a picture guide to this? I'm worried that I'm gonna unscrew a part of my mobo or something by accident. 

You won't. It's too straight forward.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

unplus display cables and PCIE power cables. Take top card out of system, then take bottom card out of system. pick up 980Ti, put 980Ti into motherboard, screw into the case, plug in PCI-E power cables. Attach display cable, boot system, remove old nvidia drivers, install fresh drivers. sorted.

EXTRA: clean both old cards and make them look pretty, put on display around PC to enhance tech environment or sell for profit

Thanks for the tips man.

How much could I sell used 660 Ti's for? 

piuMeFD.jpg?1

How much could I sell used 660 Ti's for? 

Look up how much you can buy one for and match the price?

piuMeFD.jpg?1

Lever is further left, just to the right of the 'H' on the motherboard label. Otherwise this is good.

piuMeFD.jpg?1

Thank you very much for the help!

take a look on ebay or something and search for GTX 660Ti, that should give a decent understanding of the price. The 660Ti looks to be a slightly cut 670 so it should still be fairly relevant. I'd start at about £60 myself, having the cards in impeccable condition (seriously, clean the little buggers until they shine) will help, people like things that look like they've been well looked after

Ya, I'll be sure to rub off some character. 

Lever is further left, just to the right of the 'H' on the motherboard label. Otherwise this is good.

Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to remember that when it comes tomorrow! 

Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to remember that when it comes tomorrow! 

You'll know it's the right one as it will be connected to/part of the PCIe slot the card is slotted into. Just look at the right side of the slot, it will be holding the end of the card's connector to stop it falling out. Good luck :)