Motherboard / Graphics Compatibility Question

I've been doing some research regarding a potential upgrade to my rig, but I just wanted to check a compatibility question with you guys - I'm comfortable with building and, to a smaller degree, overclocking and tweaking my PC but some of the stuff with PCIE lanes and such goes a little over my head.

First off, here's the relevent specs from my current main rig:

Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme

CPU: Intel I7 5960X

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (single)

Sound: Asus Essence STX II

Currently my graphics card is in PCIEX16_1 running at x16, and my sound card is in PCIEX1_1, running at x1.

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card to two EVGA GeForce Titan X cards in SLI, which will obviously go into the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16/X8_3 slots to maintain x16 - this is also recommended in the manual for the motherboard.

My question is, if I upgrade to two SLI cards, will I be able to have them both installed and running at x16, AND have my sound card still installed without breaking the x16 compatibility and dropping the graphics cards down to x8?

My processor is 40 lane so there's more than enough lanes free (2x 16 = 32, so 8 lanes free if I understand correctly)?, however the user manual states that going into 3-way SLI would keep the main card at x16 but all other cards (including the second graphics card) would go down to x8. I'm not sure if installing a sound card would "count" as part of the SLI and therefore "break" the x16, or whether I'd be able to install the sound card in one of the "red" slots (x8) or the other two slots without affecting the graphics cards.

The manual also states that the 4_1 and 1_1 slot share bandwidth with each other and some other stuff (Sata and USB 3 header) so I guess I'll need to check which, if any of those I'm using and whether I can move stuff around before being able to even use the grey slots. And then of course there's the physical space - I can't see the mobo right now as it's tucked away but looking at the diagram, the graphics cards in the x16 slots may block the two "red" x8 slots anyway (or at least it might be too tight a fit; IIRC the sound card had some kind of shroud as well which might get in the way).

"Worst case" scenario I don't mind losing the sound card to upgrade graphics, since the onboard sound for that mobo is supposed to be quite good and I'm hoping to upgrade to a USB amp and dac at some point anyway (already running a Schiit Magni 2 off the card). However it'd be nice to know upfront whether I'd be able to have my cake (2x Titan Xs) and eat it too (keep the sound card).

Sorry for what's probably a very noob question. I've spent a few hours doing research around this and related topics including some LinusTechTips videos and while I'm sure the info is out there and very self-explanitory if you "get it", I can't quite wrap my head around the lanes and compatibility stuff.

I can't copy anything directly out of the PDF manual for the mobo as it's locked down, but here's a link to the PDF: LINK Section 1-18 and 1-19 is where I found the compatibility info.

Let me know if there's any other info you need (specs, overclock, whatever) and I'll reply asap.

Thanks in advance for any response :)

Tl;dr: With an Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard and a 40-lane CPU, can I have two graphics cards running at x16 AND still have my sound card without affecting the bandwidth of my cards?

I've been doing some research regarding a potential upgrade to my rig, but I just wanted to check a compatibility question with you guys - I'm comfortable with building and, to a smaller degree, overclocking and tweaking my PC but some of the stuff with PCIE lanes and such goes a little over my head.

First off, here's the relevent specs from my current main rig:

Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme

CPU: Intel I7 5960X

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (single)

Sound: Asus Essence STX II

Currently my graphics card is in PCIEX16_1 running at x16, and my sound card is in PCIEX1_1, running at x1.

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card to two EVGA GeForce Titan X cards in SLI, which will obviously go into the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16/X8_3 slots to maintain x16 - this is also recommended in the manual for the motherboard.

My question is, if I upgrade to two SLI cards, will I be able to have them both installed and running at x16, AND have my sound card still installed without breaking the x16 compatibility and dropping the graphics cards down to x8?

My processor is 40 lane so there's more than enough lanes free (2x 16 = 32, so 8 lanes free if I understand correctly)?, however the user manual states that going into 3-way SLI would keep the main card at x16 but all other cards (including the second graphics card) would go down to x8. I'm not sure if installing a sound card would "count" as part of the SLI and therefore "break" the x16, or whether I'd be able to install the sound card in one of the "red" slots (x8) or the other two slots without affecting the graphics cards.

The manual also states that the 4_1 and 1_1 slot share bandwidth with each other and some other stuff (Sata and USB 3 header) so I guess I'll need to check which, if any of those I'm using and whether I can move stuff around before being able to even use the grey slots. And then of course there's the physical space - I can't see the mobo right now as it's tucked away but looking at the diagram, the graphics cards in the x16 slots may block the two "red" x8 slots anyway (or at least it might be too tight a fit; IIRC the sound card had some kind of shroud as well which might get in the way).

"Worst case" scenario I don't mind losing the sound card to upgrade graphics, since the onboard sound for that mobo is supposed to be quite good and I'm hoping to upgrade to a USB amp and dac at some point anyway (already running a Schiit Magni 2 off the card). However it'd be nice to know upfront whether I'd be able to have my cake (2x Titan Xs) and eat it too (keep the sound card).

Sorry for what's probably a very noob question. I've spent a few hours doing research around this and related topics including some LinusTechTips videos and while I'm sure the info is out there and very self-explanitory if you "get it", I can't quite wrap my head around the lanes and compatibility stuff.

I can't copy anything directly out of the PDF manual for the mobo as it's locked down, but here's a link to the PDF: LINK Section 1-18 and 1-19 is where I found the compatibility info.

Let me know if there's any other info you need (specs, overclock, whatever) and I'll reply asap.

Thanks in advance for any response :)

Tl;dr: With an Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard and a 40-lane CPU, can I have two graphics cards running at x16 AND still have my sound card without affecting the bandwidth of my cards?

yes

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

yes

So.. Like.. I just throw the two graphics cards into the x16 slots and the sound (if it'll fit) into one of the other slots and it'll all work? Does it matter which slot I use (red x8 or grey x4 or x1)? Would I need to change anything specifically in the BIOS or OS to deal with this?