Laptop won't boot after replacing thermal paste

Butter1484

I have just replaced the thermal paste in my HP Envy dv6-7210us laptop. After putting it back together, I ran into a problem. The power light came on, fan started spinning, wifi led lit up, but then the screen didn't come on and I am getting a caps lock blink code. I took it completely apart again, resat the CPU, and put it back together. I am still getting the blink code, once with about a second in between.

Are you sure you got all the zero insertion force things plugged in and secured properly? (the micro ribbon cables)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

From what I have found, the one blink with a second in between means a problem with the CPU. Can anyone verify that for me. I found a good price on a replacement CPU but don't want to buy it unless that really is the problem.

I once may have accidentally forgot to reattatch the CPU fan while doing some thermal paste experiments on one of my old shitty laptops, the laptop did not like that at all and give me all sorts of beeps and boops, so see if that's plugged in. 

Did some of the thermal paste got into the cpu socket?

And use the quote button, otherwise people are not going to get notified that you replied to them.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I have just replaced the thermal paste in my HP Envy dv6-7210us laptop. After putting it back together, I ran into a problem. The power light came on, fan started spinning, wifi led lit up, but then the screen didn't come on and I am getting a caps lock blink code. I took it completely apart again, resat the CPU, and put it back together. I am still getting the blink code, once with about a second in between.

Did you tighten the backplate/cooler on to much?

did you touch the CPU without grounding or using a strap? if so, you killed it.

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

did you touch the CPU without grounding or using a strap? if so, you killed it.

If that's enough to kill a CPU, then all my CPUs are dead. I never ground myself while working on my computers for the last 10 years and I've yet to kill a single item.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

If that's enough to kill a CPU, then all my CPUs are dead. I never ground myself while working on my computers for the last 10 years and I've yet to kill a single item.

Pretty much the same thing. I have an old Intel dual core extreme that has been floating around my desk for about 8 years now. I threw this in a recent system repurpose. Works like a champ. 

If they didn't die then you didn't shock them, if you have a dead CPU that you touched then you shocked and killed it. You are using the Anecdotal fallacy to dismiss facts. Static senstive devices will die if you shock them. Which can easily happen when you don't ground yourself in anyway. 

Pretty much the same thing. I have an old Intel dual core extreme that has been floating around my desk for about 8 years now. I threw this in a recent system repurpose. Works like a champ. 

oh yes, because you have never done it must be impossible for static shock to destroy a static sensitive device. 

--Thread killer--

long story short, you probably killed your cpu. 

related info

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Envy-Dv6-7210us-Windows-8-caps-lock-blinking-continuously/td-p/2904881

the repair guide for your computer says a shock small enough to be un-felt and unheard, at only 700V can ruin your computer, this is probably what happened.

--Thread killer--

If they didn't die then you didn't shock them, if you have a dead CPU that you touched then you shocked and killed it. You are using the Anecdotal fallacy to dismiss facts. Static senstive devices will die if you shock them. Which can easily happen when you don't ground yourself in anyway.

oh yes, because you have never done it must be impossible for static shock to destroy a static sensitive device.

It's fun to see how many amateurs belief everything they see on the internet...

Of course if you are wearing polyester clothing, standing on rubber pads, rubbing yourself vigorously (for whatever purpose) and touching the pins of the CPU, there is a slight chance of you killing your CPU, but it's unlikely.

Best practices says to wear hand gloves and NOT touch the pins of the CPU or any micro controllers or processors (unless you're soldering them for home project).

OP, why don't you try plugging your CPU into another compatible computer to confirm if it's a CPU problem? Remember to check the pins of the motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

I actually never said I had not destroyed a static sensitive device with static. I have however worked at a manufactures repair facility. Repairing about 12 laptops a day, as long as the OP removed the battery first the chance of him killing a cpu by just touching it is roughly the same chance as winning a mega-ball  lottery. The more likely reason for no display is forgetting something such as locking the CPU, miss seated ram, or ribbon cable not all the way in. 

It's fun to see how many amateurs belief everything they see on the internet...

Of course if you are wearing polyester clothing, standing on rubber pads, rubbing yourself vigorously (for whatever purpose) and touching the pins of the CPU, there is a slight chance of you killing your CPU, but it's unlikely.

First off, I've been building and repairing computers for 20 years. And in that time i have destroyed exactly 3 CPUs from static shock alone, before i learned to work with proper grounding techniques. Doesn't matter where you apply the shock, if it arcs to a metal part its fucked. And of course it doesn't happen ALL THE TIME, you'd be mentally handicapped to believe such nonsense. Static shock can build up at any time if the conditions are right, and you'd be pretty unwise to touch parts of your internals without grounding or dissipating your built up static charge. 

If you touch your CPU and it magically stops working, that's why, a static shock can fuse the microscopic structures that make up a CPU's internals. and to make matters worse, today's CPU's are multi-layered making them more susceptible to shock damage. 

I actually never said I had not destroyed a static sensitive device with static. 

fair enough 

I have however worked at a manufactures repair facility. Repairing about 12 laptops a day

yeah, kinda hard to buildup static charge when you are touching metal parts all day. 

reason for no display is forgetting something such as locking the CPU

I don't disagree which is why I asked him, but as i got no response, i felt it necessary to point this out without the answer, as it is just as likely, especially with mobile CPUs and without grounding. Without further knowledge, it may be impossible to determine whether it is the CPU, some cable, or even some battery issue. 

Looking over the manual however, the blink code he indicated points to a CPU issue for sure. The blink code one means "non-functional CPU". So yeah, again i say, dead CPU. or somehow forgot to lock it down, but i doubt it. either way, this is where you need to focus the search

OP, why don't you try plugging your CPU into another compatible computer to confirm if it's a CPU problem? Remember to check the pins of the motherboard.

I agree here. This is what you need to do. 

--Thread killer--

I was using an anti static mat and wrist strap, but I know it's still possible to damage the CPU. I unfortunately do not have another board with an FS1 socket to test if it really is the CPU. I think I will buy a replacement and see if that works, but if not I'll probably just get a new laptop.