LED short circuiting? (PC reboot loop)

Hello!

I've had the problem for a few days, that the PC just reboots out of the blue and is then trapped in a constant reboot circle for about 10Min. I initially thought it was a PSU related issue and got an exchange model for it. But unfortunately I just had the problem again so appearently it's not due to a faulty PSU.

But, I have an LED strip (Nanoxia rigid) together with a fan controller (to be able to dimm the LED) connected to one of the motherboard fan headers and as soon as I pulled it out the PC booted up correctly again. Thing is I also got a memory_access bluescreen just before that but I already checked all the components like RAM, and my hard drives multiple times but everything comes out clean. Other sources might be the GPU (an MSI GTX960 4G) which I had overclocked or the mainboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5).

Is it possible that the LED or the fan controller short circuited and caused the issue? Maybe someone had a similar problem at one point. Otherwise some educated guesses would be nice.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

why bother with an LED strip anyway? well whatever if you pulled it out and now it works fine try putting in on another fan header, otherwise just remove it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i say test with the multimeter and check for any short circuits

also look at the solder joins for any bridging

or any exposed wires

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I just spoke with a Gigabyte rep and he suspects that the issue is related to the power delivery of the board, so that the LED might draw more power than the Mainboard header delivers in the longrun, so likely it's not short circuiting. The LED according to specifications draws 0.53A and 6.4Watts while the mainboard fan header can supposetly handle up to 0.7A. Maybe the LED or the potentiometer which I put between the LED and the header (or both in tandum) fluctuates a bit in its power draw so that the mobo capacitors for the fan header become overstressed.

Anyway, I disconnected it for now and ordered a SATA power to 3pin adapter. If it stays stable until it arrives, I know for sure. I'll report back, either way. If it's really like that it might be interesting information for case modders.

Edit: Another idea is that the potentiometer shoves back the current sometimes and indeed causes a short. Well, that'll be some fun error elimination. I just hope it's not a problem with one of my more essential parts.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit