How To Overclock My Rig & GPU

Kalai2480

Hey Linus How Are You... Im Kalai Im Really Fan Of Your Show You Inspired Me To Build Rigs For Myself & Friends .Ive Just Recently Build A Rig Of Mine Very Own But I Need Some Opinion & Ideas From You In How To Overclocking It :)

MY SPEC :Intel Core i5 4690k

GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER H6 MOTHERBOARD

32 GB DDR3 CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO SERIES

COOLERMASTER HYPER 212X CPU COOLER

SILVERSTONE STRIDER GOLD EVO 1000W PSU

KINGMAX 120GB SSD

SEAGATE 1TB HARD DRIVE

WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 2TB HARD DRIVE

SAMSUNG 500GB NOTEBOOK HARD DRIVE

GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 GAMING 2WAY SLI

MID TOWER ARMAGGEDDON TERATON T7 

post-264073-0-75396400-1443087953.jpg

You basically want to be doing some research at this point before you continue to OC.

Below is a guide of what the basic's are and what certain things will do within the BIOS;-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Basically overclocking is when you increase the core clock speed. With your type of CPU this is done by changing the multiplier which is normally 3.4/3.8. You would unlock your cores and change all 4 at the same time, this normally looks like a 38 to start off with and you would change to 44 for a 4.4ghz OC. You can mess with the BLCK but this doesn't really matter too much as the x100 multiplier is much more stable for basic OC'in.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Nice build, although the power supply is definitely too much and you probably don't need 32gb of ram.

To overclock your cpu, you need to go in the bios and raise your multiplier. Do this one step at a time and make sure you test it for an hour or two before you move on. Avoid going over 80°c and don't use prime95. When you cross the 80°c mark or the test crashes, set the multiplier to the last working setting and leave it there. If you want to oc more (and your temperatures aren't too high), you can raise voltage by 0.01 at a time (never over 1.375v) and see if you manage to raise the multiplier further.

As for the gpu, the process is similar but you don't need the bios. Install msi afterburner, then set your power limit to the max and raise core clock 25mhz at a time, testing it thoroughly with something like unigine valley for an hour or so. Make sure the temperatures are fine (below 75c if possible). Once you reached the core's limit, you can either keep it that way or raise voltage (never over +100mv) to see if that allows you to go further.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nice build, although the power supply is definitely too much and you probably don't need 32gb of ram.

To overclock your cpu, you need to go in the bios and raise your multiplier. Do this one step at a time and make sure you test it for an hour or two before you move on. Avoid going over 80°c and don't use prime95. When you cross the 80°c mark or the test crashes, set the multiplier to the last working setting and leave it there. If you want to oc more (and your temperatures aren't too high), you can raise voltage by 0.01 at a time (never over 1.375v) and see if you manage to raise the multiplier further.

As for the gpu, the process is similar but you don't need the bios. Install msi afterburner, then set your power limit to the max and raise core clock 25mhz at a time, testing it thoroughly with something like unigine valley for an hour or so. Make sure the temperatures are fine (below 75c if possible). Once you reached the core's limit, you can either keep it that way or raise voltage (never over +100mv) to see if that allows you to go further.

You say don't use prime95, Why not? I've been using it to test stability on my CPU

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

You say don't use prime95? Why not I've been using it to test stability on my CPU

It can damage haswell cpus in its newer revisions. Possibly even older architectures, I don't know about that. This is because it acts essentially as a power virus, pushing the cpu beyond its safe limits.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It can damage haswell cpus in its newer revisions. Possibly even older architectures, I don't know about that. This is because it acts essentially as a power virus, pushing the cpu beyond its safe limits.

Oh damn, I wish you had seen my thread about my CPU then that might answer why my temps look a bit out of place they seem better now but still not where I would expect them to be.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Oh damn, I wish you had seen my thread about my CPU then that might answer why my temps look a bit out of place they seem better now but still not where I would expect them to be.

if they get too high on prime95 don't worry, in normal use they should be significantly lower.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

if they get too high on prime95 don't worry, in normal use they should be significantly lower.

My temps with a 1ghz overclock from 3ghz to 4ghz with 1.15v on a 5960x were 22C on Idle core 1 was 28C for some reason and then when running prime95 for an hour they hovered between 68C and 72C hope these are good temps and my Voltage is acceptable for this particular CPU? Also what do you recommend for stress testing the CPU

Custom PC:

My temps with a 1ghz overclock from 3ghz to 4ghz with 1.15v on a 5960x were 22C on Idle core 1 was 28C for some reason and then when running prime95 for an hour they hovered between 68C and 72C hope these are good temps and my Voltage is acceptable for this particular CPU? Also what do you recommend for stress testing the CPU

anything below 80°c is just fine. I'd use cinebench or aida64

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

anything below 80°c is just fine. I'd use cinebench or aida64

Ok thanks I didn't see a very big improvement in performance from that 1ghz boost about 50 points in cinebench at most which makes me wonder if overclocking is worth it. I had my 3770k overclocked but that was purely because it was a poor performer out of the box it scored less than a FX8320E.

Custom PC:

Ok thanks I didn't see a very big improvement in performance from that 1ghz boost about 50 points in cinebench at most which makes me wonder if overclocking is worth it. I had my 3770k overclocked but that was purely because it was a poor performer out of the box it scored less than a FX8320E.

if your temperatures are fine there's no real reason not to oc.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey Linus How Are You... Im Kalai Im Really Fan Of Your Show You Inspired Me To Build Rigs For Myself & Friends .Ive Just Recently Build A Rig Of Mine Very Own But I Need Some Opinion & Ideas From You In How To Overclocking It :)

MY SPEC :Intel Core i5 4690k

GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER H6 MOTHERBOARD

32 GB DDR3 CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO SERIES

COOLERMASTER HYPER 212X CPU COOLER

SILVERSTONE STRIDER GOLD EVO 1000W PSU

KINGMAX 120GB SSD

SEAGATE 1TB HARD DRIVE

WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 2TB HARD DRIVE

SAMSUNG 500GB NOTEBOOK HARD DRIVE

GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 GAMING 2WAY SLI

MID TOWER ARMAGGEDDON TERATON T7 

Loving the Red fans by the way and I'm interested in why you went 970 SLI over a single 980ti wouldn't that have provided better performance across the board in games and also less heat in the system to exhaust meaning better overclocks due to cooler air?

Custom PC:

i was having a little short on the budget so i bought the 970's

Being from Malaysia also (what's up OP ) you will have to take note that stuff like up to date electronics are horrendously overpriced. To the point that things like 980Tis will be in short supply and thus massively inflated.

Because the 970 has been out a while you can find some deals on it and get some reasonable prices, or you can take a risk and try to haggle people down in places like Bukit Bintang - it's not for the faint hearted though.

I'm guessing that's the reason he has 970s - it's why I went that route at first before I just folded and went all in on the Ti.

Also some things like EVGA PSUs can be harder to come by - which is why we sometimes have to buy whatever is on hand even if it's overkill and expensive.

From what I've tested it only damages Haswell if you have Adaptive or Auto voltage control enabled. Manual settings are safe.

According to the developer of Prime95 the latest versions have supposedly fixed this. I haven't tested it in a few months though.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

From what I've tested it only damages Haswell if you have Adaptive or Auto voltage control enabled. Manual settings are safe.

According to the developer of Prime95 the latest versions have supposedly fixed this. I haven't tested it in a few months though.

Oops I had auto volt on when I used it :D my CPU doesn't overclock well though so I have gone back to stock for now.

Custom PC: