The experience loophole

FAIL_bro777

Anyone trying to get a new job and failing will know this loophole:

Attempt to get a job -> job requires experience in that field -> attempt to get a job to get experience -> job requires experience in that field

Sound familiar? 

I'd like to get into a part time IT job, I'm 18 years of age and can troubleshoot a majority of minor issues with a computer. The issue is I don't have a GCSE or equivalent qualification in ICT so I'm stuck in this loop hole of requiring experience but being unable to get any (and no, Linda.com or any other online learning site is not an option due to subscription fees that require money that requires a job that require experience GGAGRYOAGHJBKU) 

I have attempted applying for an apprenticeship and I got turned down for lack of experience (actual terms being "the calibre of the other candidates was extremely high"). My local IT shop isnt hiring, there are two game stores in my area one of which is hiring (but I have no experience in retail), and the nearest large chain IT store is... I dont even know to be honest, probably more that 20 miles away though (getting to which will require transport, which requires money... you get the idea).

I do have a part time job as a waiter, but the wages earned are hardly enough to be doing anything much with.

Any tips on how to get out of the loop (for me and others who might also find them self stuck in this loop), and hopefully spring into a ICT career in something or other? 

Current Build

Spoiler
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition, X4 965 <I> RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 760 (MSI) <I> Storage: WD Blue 500GB

Planned Build (Blitz)

Spoiler
CPU: FX6300 X6 3.5GHz <I> RAM: Cruicial Ballistix 8GB + Hyper X Fury (White) 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 960 (MSI) <I> Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB + WD Blue 500GB <I> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550w <I> MOBO: Gigabyte GA 970A  

Instead of applying for the job, try to apply via voluntering for free. Yeah this is a bit of a annoyance but unless you have contacts or a lot of experience most places wont take you.

This is what I had to do to get into the architectural industry and took me a good year before anything came of it.

TL:DR; Just give your time up for free to companies and gather a portfolio/CV of your work experience.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Industry certifications is the way out of that particular loop, at least as far as I have been told.

Or internships, if you feel like being a slave.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Defo' volunteer worked for me :D and i even had qualifications etc.

Now I am a fully paid member of staff :D   

SNIP

You can retroactively sit GCSEs and A levels,  but you dont need an IT GCSE to get an IT job

You dont need experience in retail to a job in a game shop, you have work experience, that enough

Get certifications on-line such as Microsoft cert etc

Use money from your normal job to fund education etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Attempt to get a job -> job requires experience in that field -> attempt to get a job to get experience -> job requires experience in that field

Sound familiar? 

I'd like to get into a part time IT job, I'm 18 years of age and can troubleshoot a majority of minor issues with a computer. The issue is I don't have a GCSE or equivalent qualification in ICT so I'm stuck in this loop hole of requiring experience but being unable to get any (and no, Linda.com or any other online learning site is not an option due to subscription fees that require money that requires a job that require experience GGAGRYOAGHJBKU) 

I have attempted applying for an apprenticeship and I got turned down for lack of experience (actual terms being "the calibre of the other candidates was extremely high"). My local IT shop isnt hiring, there are two game stores in my area one of which is hiring (but I have no experience in retail), and the nearest large chain IT store is... I dont even know to be honest, probably more that 20 miles away though (getting to which will require transport, which requires money... you get the idea).

I do have a part time job as a waiter, but the wages earned are hardly enough to be doing anything much with.

Any tips on how to get out of the loop (for me and others who might also find them self stuck in this loop), and hopefully spring into a ICT career in something or other? 

do work for people for free/small profit, get a reputation, and then you will have evidence to show what you've done, ask at schools to see if you can work experience with the ITY department, you can ask at the job centre for free courses or if you get a good rep they will set you up with company's. I setup a scheme with the company i work for where we would collab with the job centre they would send me candidates that they think would be useful and then we took them on a temp contract, to give them experience, if they were good I kept them, if not... you get the idea,. the company liked it as we were getting new good staff and sending them off to other places, give the buisness a good rep, and gets you known as a trainer ( me)  some places wont let you work for free as its a grey area, so look at your local volunteer office, for things like Citizens advice bureau, or a charity all have some type of IT in use and most people who work there are volunteers and like having someone around to help out with the IT afew hours a week.

I did it at my local CAB, and they had an awful network setup, I changed it around to have a server, cloud storage, and any employee could access their files from anywhere, they loved it so much they gave me a huge recommendation and a small payout as a thank you. you will work hard but think long term. 

So volunteer, get networking with people, then work your ass off, worst thing when i do interviews and i ask what have they been doing, and they said "looking for jobs", if you can say "i did this, that, learnt this, went here etc" as an employer im thinking you'll be a hard worker and go looking for opportunities rather then the "oh im just looking for a job" 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Sound familiar? 

well i know too well what you mean i felt the same way when i started but did menage to escape the situation quite quickly.

so im a developer meaning that i dont know if this applies to other fields but what i did was develop software in my own time while not having a job.

so then i emailed my current boss and expalined how my software would better his companies workflow. he invited me in and bim bum bang i got a job

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Snip

Sorry to say chuck, its not about qualifications either.

Its vary much you require experience in a job that you need a prior job in that area for experience.

See all sorts of "training" being offered to plug this and employers? just aint interested. And that's not an opinion, its a conclusion from all the community and voluntary I work I do, of which includes liaising with companies and young(er) people desperate for jobs that honestly are not there. Many of whom are more than qualified, and have plenty of experience for it.

I would advise voluntary roles (but dont be taken for a schmuk and end up doing a full time job out your own pocket), as these can get you experience, and contacts.

I have my own business, and through these voluntary positions where I do a couple of hours a week for lots of different groups it does introduce me to various people that have led to getting contracts. Lots of dead ends too so if you do try this route, don't be disheartened. Also dont fall for false promises and like I say dont be taken for a fool and end up doing a job for a company for free. Thats them taking advantage while getting you to make the tea.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard!