weird !

a.j

so i have a gtx 780 3gb edition and when i run dxdiag to check my display status it says that my approx total memory is 2729 and mine should be 3072mb but when i run gpu-z it says that my total memory is 3072mb so which one is true or right about my memory info

so i have a gtx 780 3gb edition and when i run dxdiag to check my display status it says that my approx total memory is 2729 and mine should be 3072mb but when i run gpu-z it says that my total memory is 3072mb so which one is true or right about my memory info

2729 can't be correct.

I'm pretty sure DxDiag is reporting a wrong number.

2729 can't be correct.

I'm pretty sure DxDiag is reporting a wrong number.

what should i do then聽

what should i do then聽

Nothing. DxDiag is simply reporting nonsense. I have seen another post a few weeks ago where someone had a similar problem with DxDiag.

I mean, you can for example search on google if someone had the same problem and if so maybe he found a solution or can at least confirm that DxDiag isn't correct.

Go to Nvidia Control Panel > System Information (Bottom left corner) > Dedicated video memory. There's the shared one right on top of it.

The one in Dxdiag isn't accurate, it adds both shared and dedicated, mine is at 10 GB .. with a GTX 860M, which I doubt is the actual memory of the GPU

Does it list any problems found in the notes below?

Mine says 4095 and not 4096 if that makes you feel any better... :D

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Nothing. DxDiag is simply reporting nonsense. I have seen another post a few weeks ago where someone had a similar problem with DxDiag.

I mean, you can for example search on google if someone had the same problem and if so maybe he found a solution or can at least confirm that DxDiag isn't correct.

on other forums i saw that if i run gpu-z and i found out that it tells me that i have a 3072mb of vram i should be fine im just a bit worried聽

Go to Nvidia Control Panel > System Information (Bottom left corner) > Dedicated video memory. There's the shared one right on top of it.

The one in Dxdiag isn't accurate, it adds both shared and dedicated, mine is at 10 GB .. with a GTX 860M, which I doubt is the actual memory of the GPU

i checked on the nvidia control panel says聽

dedicated video memory :3072

shared....... 3811

i checked on the nvidia control panel says聽

dedicated video memory :3072

shared....... 3811

There's your answer then. You have 3072 of dedicated memory and 3811 of shared memory xD Hope that helped.

Dxdiag tells me that I have 12GB of Vram... (12165MB) on a GTX970.

It just takes shared memory into account.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely).聽GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1聽@1519Mhz core,聽RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16聽@2400Mhz. SSD 128GBSandisk Ultra Plus聽as my OS drive.聽HDD's聽 1TB 聽Seagate聽ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB聽Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB聽WDC Blue聽(RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Dxdiag tells me that I have 12GB of Vram... (12165MB) on a GTX970.

It just takes shared memory into account.

but mine looks like the same problem that 970 users had聽

but mine looks like the same problem that 970 users had聽

Shared memory works both ways AFAIK, RAM can be used for graphics, and some applications can use Vram for non graphical things.

I think that some of your GPU's Vram is simply reserved for something, that might make DxDiag not include it. I had the same with my R9 280, it showed up as 2,5GB in either a game or DxDiag, I can't remember.

If you wan't to be sure then download a Vram tester to see if your GPU is alright. (though I am 100% sure it is)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely).聽GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1聽@1519Mhz core,聽RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16聽@2400Mhz. SSD 128GBSandisk Ultra Plus聽as my OS drive.聽HDD's聽 1TB 聽Seagate聽ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB聽Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB聽WDC Blue聽(RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Shared memory works both ways AFAIK, RAM can be used for graphics, and some applications can use Vram for non graphical things.

I think that some of your GPU's Vram is simply reserved for something, that might make DxDiag not include it. I had the same with my R9 280, it showed up as 2,5GB in either a game or DxDiag, I can't remember.

If you wan't to be sure then download a Vram tester to see if your GPU is alright. (though I am 100% sure it is)

i was reading on google that if dxdiag say u have only 2.5 gb (2729) that means thats all u have even on gaming it will appear as 2729mb so thats not good聽

i was reading on google that if dxdiag say u have only 2.5 gb (2729) that means thats all u have even on gaming it will appear as 2729mb so thats not good聽

I could have remembered that number wrong, and I am sure that the 280 I had a full 3GB working, GPUZ said it had 3GB IIRC.

Regardless I have sold that GPU already.

Spoiler

I could have remembered that number wrong, and I am sure that the 280 I had a full 3GB working, GPUZ said it had 3GB IIRC.

Regardless I have sold that GPU already.

im worried af now cause last week i refunded my alienware because it had gpu issues and i really dont want to refund any thing at the moment聽

im worried af now cause last week i refunded my alienware because it had gpu issues and i really dont want to refund any thing at the moment聽

Your GPU is fine, the numbers given by DxDiag are not a reason for concern. If your GPU isn't causing you other issues it is just fine.

Spoiler