Bought a router to use along side my ISP router. How to connect?

MPCPRO

Hey guys.

For the last 4 years I have had a fiber modem/router which is extremely slow only supporting 10/100 and Wifi G speeds. (Tilgin HG1522)

I just bought an Asus AC68U AC1900 router to use instead but I am however unable to disconnect my old router due to it taking in both TV, IP Telephone and the fibre optic cable wire. It also does not support bridge mode. I am left to connecting it to my old router as a switchhub, but I am a bit unsure how to do this being a router noob. Do I just connect a cat5e cable (or cat6?) from Lan port A on my old router into the WAN port of my new Asus AC68U? Or do I need to connect it to one of the lan ports instead?

Thanks for any replies!

I connect lan port of my ISP router to another router's lan port and i was able to use internet from the other router. try it

I connect lan port of my ISP router to another router's lan port and i was able to use internet from the other router. try it

Thanks. Will do once I get it!

First post :-)

If your modem/router has DMZ I would turn on DMZplus mode on the modem and select your router. This will push a external IP address and open all ports on the modem. Your new router will be acting as a firewall and the modem will not be blocking anything. Plug a network cable into any port on the modem and into WAN on the router.

Hey guys.

For the last 4 years I have had a fiber modem/router which is extremely slow only supporting 10/100 and Wifi G speeds. (Tilgin HG1522)

I just bought an Asus AC68U AC1900 router to use instead but I am however unable to disconnect my old router due to it taking in both TV, IP Telephone and the fibre optic cable wire. It also does not support bridge mode. I am left to connecting it to my old router as a switchhub, but I am a bit unsure how to do this being a router noob. Do I just connect a cat5e cable (or cat6?) from Lan port A on my old router into the WAN port of my new Asus AC68U? Or do I need to connect it to one of the lan ports instead?

Thanks for any replies!

You may be still using docsis 2.0 you may want to upgrade.

First post :-)

If your modem/router has DMZ I would turn on DMZplus mode on the modem and select your router. This will push a external IP address and open all ports on the modem. Your new router will be acting as a firewall and the modem will not be blocking anything. Plug a network cable into any port on the modem and into WAN on the router.

Will check that out! Thanks for the tip!

Edit: No DMZ mode I am afraid. :(

Just a guess, but I am guessing my new AC68U will have some advanced features, I guess one of them could be to disable the firewall/NAT? Then I just need to play around with my main one if I want to open a port or two. Or will I lose some important functions if I do that? 

You may be still using docsis 2.0 you may want to upgrade.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with routers, I did a quick google search on docsis but my head explodes when trying to comprehend it xD Do you mean it's something I have to upgrade on my new router (AC68U) when I get it to increase some speeds?

Sorry for being a router noob :P

Edit:

I just read through this: http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm and I think I understand what I have to do now when I start setting up servers (I usually host a Minecraft server + Voice chat to a few buddies). Probably easier this way, and safer having two firewalls xD

Will check that out! Thanks for the tip!

Edit: No DMZ mode I am afraid. :(

Just a guess, but I am guessing my new AC68U will have some advanced features, I guess one of them could be to disable the firewall/NAT? Then I just need to play around with my main one if I want to open a port or two. Or will I lose some important functions if I do that? 

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with routers, I did a quick google search on docsis but my head explodes when trying to comprehend it xD Do you mean it's something I have to upgrade on my new router (AC68U) when I get it to increase some speeds?

Sorry for being a router noob :P

Edit:

I just read through this: http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm and I think I understand what I have to do now when I start setting up servers (I usually host a Minecraft server + Voice chat to a few buddies). Probably easier this way, and safer having two firewalls x

Do you have a separate modem and router? 

Do you have a separate modem and router? 

No, the Tilgin HG1522 is a Fiber gateway that includes the modem and router. 

No, the Tilgin HG1522 is a Fiber gateway that includes the modem and router.

Ask your isp to put it in bridged mode

Hey guys.

I just bought an Asus AC68U AC1900 router to use instead but I am however unable to disconnect my old router due to it taking in both TV, IP Telephone and the fibre optic cable wire. It also does not support bridge mode. I am left to connecting it to my old router as a switchhub, but I am a bit unsure how to do this being a router noob. Do I just connect a cat5e cable (or cat6?) from Lan port A on my old router into the WAN port of my new Asus AC68U? Or do I need to connect it to one of the lan ports instead?

Thanks for any replies!

Does the have a WAN port? your Tilgin Router. If it does, plug the cable from the WAN port to the WAN of the  Asus AC68U AC1900 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Ask your isp to put it in bridged mode

They told me it does not support bridge mode.

Does the have a WAN port? your Tilgin Router. If it does, plug the cable from the WAN port to the WAN of the  Asus AC68U AC1900 

No, it the only connection from the outside world is a fibercable. 

------------------------------------

Sorry for the late replies but I have not been on that much.

Anyway I got it all sorted out. I got the new router connected to the old one which is the only way to use it. I have it connected with a static IP to the main router so port forwarding is a bit more friendlier. I have to port forward twice now to open my servers up, but I do not mind and I welcome the double protection even though it's mostly just a hassle. Luckily I barely access the router (only when I have to open up a port, or fix an issue).

So far it seems to be a big improvement over my old one. My old TILGIN HG1522 transferred files at about 2-3 MB/s over the old G wifi standard (5 metres away), I now get 12 MB/s over the N standard (15 metres away, between a wall) and 30 MB/s over the AC standard (5 metres away). It's pretty awesome, and I will enjoy the new printer USB sharing option + harddrive sharing option over USB and all the other stuff that I never used before (like QoS, VPN, DMZ ++ SO MANY NEW BUTTONS).

first on the Tilgin HG1522 unplug all devices and disable the wireless on this modem 

then on the asus router plug an ethernet cable into the port labeled WAN 

plug the other end the cable into the Tilgin HG1522 LAN port then login Tilgin HG1522 setings 

inside the Tilgin HG1522 settings you will need to find the ip of the asus router as seen Tilgin HG1522 router just look for as if it was a normal computer

once you have the ip of this device keep hold of it as to set a DMZ to your asus router from Tilgin HG1522

the DMZ is a big port forward that forwards ALL port to that device

once that is done you should never have to log on to the Tilgin HG1522 ever again

then setup your asus routers wireless and connect all you devces to it and port forward ports needed as this router is your main router

and Tilgin HG1522 is just a modem that converts fiber into Ethernet in this configration