ASUS RT-AC68U as Media Bridge

natep_87

Hi All

Tried asking ASUS directly and they didn't give a definitive answer.

I currently have a ASUS RT-AC68U as my primary router, next to this router is my main gaming PC and the server computer (all hardwired into the AC68).

I am moving house and can no longer have a wired connection to my old 8 port gigabit switch that sits behind the home theatre (HTPC, PS4, PS3 WiiU and Roku) which is in across the hallway in the opposite room. 

The distance between the main router location and the the TV is only around 3-4 metres so wireless AC signal is quite strong (the HTPC with an PCI ASUS AC wireless card is currently getting 800-1200Mbps).

My initial thought was to get a powerline adaptor and maintain my switch but then I thought i could buy another newer ASUS router (Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 or ASUS RT-AC3200) as the primary and run my current router (AC68) as a media bridge to get a faster connection than a powerline. 

Can the AC68 be used as a media bridge with the AC87 as the primary router? the webui lets me turn the AC68 into a media bridge but the instructions talk about two AC68s. I am hoping that's just because it was easier to talk about two of those than trying to guess what the other router is. 

Obviously if anyone thinks this is a bad idea or has any other suggestions would be helpful.

​I have attached a quick drawing of what suspect it would look like below. 

post-235188-0-64973200-1442880193_thumb.

i7 5960x, 16Gb Corsair 3200, MSI x99 Gaming 9, 2x SLI MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, Corsair HX1000i, Intel 750 Series PCI-E, Phanteks Primo Orange, Custom Watercooled.