Adaptive CPU Voltage

Go to solution Solved by BigDay,

I did what I thought was correct according to your guide but I still get bsod. The only thing I changed was additional turbo mode to 1.325

reset your bios to default settings and then adjust only the parameters outlined in my guide for the asus motherboard

I just built my new pc and I want to overclock it properly this time (as opposed to auto overclock). I ran benchmarks and I found that my 6700k will do 4.7 at 1.325. But when I try to do this in adaptive voltage mode I can never seem to get it working properly. I have never used adaptive mode and I am going off what other people have told me. Right now I have it in Adaptive mode with offset positive, additional turbo mode voltage at 1.325 and offset voltage at auto and I get bsod whenever I try to get into windows. I am using the Maximus VIII hero motherboard. Any insight is appreciated.

Corsair Graphite 780T | Intel 6700k @ 4.7GHz | Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz | Asus Strix 980 Ti| Mushkin                                                                                      Enhanced Chronos 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 3TB 

check out my guide; link in my forum signature. there's a section that shows you how to enable adaptive mode with asus motherboards

BigDay

check out my guide; link in my forum signature. there's a section that shows you how to enable adaptive mode with asus motherboards

I did what I thought was correct according to your guide but I still get bsod. The only thing I changed was additional turbo mode to 1.325

Corsair Graphite 780T | Intel 6700k @ 4.7GHz | Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz | Asus Strix 980 Ti| Mushkin                                                                                      Enhanced Chronos 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 3TB 

reset your bios to default settings and then adjust only the parameters outlined in my guide for the asus motherboard

BigDay

I've made a mistake here.  When I was first playing with Adaptive Voltage I messed a few things up so I set all the bios settings to default.  After this I kept trying to change the speed and voltage and I got bsod, but now I have changed one of the manual presets and I get into windows fine.  The only thing happening now is that despite having Adaptive Voltage turned on, and with the additional turbo set to 1.325, the cpu is not going below this number even though adaptive is turned on.  Ie; adaptive voltage does not seem to be adaptive, and is staying at 1.325.

I am using z170 so it is slightly different than the z97 in the guide. One thing I noticed is that core/cache voltage is determined by the same number. And above that is the CPU Core/Cache current limit max, min cpu cache speed, and max cpu cache speed. I don't know if any of that is relevant but it is just an observation.

I should say that there is no option to put core ratio mode into adaptive.

Okay well I checked hardware monitor again and this time it says that the CPU VCORE was at a minimum of .672 V so I'll assume that adaptive voltage is working now (?).  Despite this it still hovers at around 1.350 even during light use, such as in a browser.  Anyways, thanks for all the help, and sorry for being a bit incompetent. 

Okay well I checked hardware monitor again and this time it says that the CPU VCORE was at a minimum of .672 V so I'll assume that adaptive voltage is working now (?).  Despite this it still hovers at around 1.350 even during light use, such as in a browser.  Anyways, thanks for all the help, and sorry for being a bit incompetent. 

no problem. sometime the pc takes about 2-5 minutes for the vcore to show as being in "adaptive" mode when you check using a software like hwmonitor or hwinfo64

did you get it working now?

BigDay

no problem. sometime the pc takes about 2-5 minutes for the vcore to show as being in "adaptive" mode when you check using a software like hwmonitor or hwinfo64

did you get it working now?

It is still reading at 1.350 though.  I'm not putting much of a load on it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NZ9lJ0r/new

It is still reading at 1.350 though.  I'm not putting much of a load on it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NZ9lJ0r/new

Do you see the voltage fluctuating at all, or does it remain at a constant level? If it doesn't fluctuate, adaptive voltage probably isn't configure correctly. 

I'm having difficulty following what you have or have not done. Looking at your manual, it seems like the setup for your board should be very similar to the guide posted above. Have you enable the power saving features of the board? If not, your computer won't step the voltage or the multiplier. 

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Do you see the voltage fluctuating at all, or does it remain at a constant level? If it doesn't fluctuate, adaptive voltage probably isn't configure correctly. 

I'm having difficulty following what you have or have not done. Looking at your manual, it seems like the setup for your board should be very similar to the guide posted above. Have you enable the power saving features of the board? If not, your computer won't step the voltage or the multiplier. 

Where do I find the power saving features and which ones do I need to turn on?

Where do I find the power saving features and which ones do I need to turn on?

Have a look at the guide BigDay posted above (section 9.3). You'll find those options in the Advanced tab in your UEFI under CPU Power Management Configuration

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

make sure you enable your c-states

I found the C-States and they are by default auto so I put them on enabled.  Which of these do I need to change if any?

http://imgur.com/IxuUUVi

I found the C-States and they are by default auto so I put them on enabled.  Which of these do I need to change if any?

http://imgur.com/IxuUUVi

The default C-states should work fine. Change Intel Speedstep to Enabled from Auto. 

Then boot into Windows and see if your ratio and voltage are behaving in an adaptive manner.

The default C-states should work fine. Change Intel Speedstep to Enabled from Auto. 

Then boot into Windows and see if your ratio and voltage are behaving in an adaptive manner.

Aha!  I think this might have done it.  Right now it is still hovering at 1.350 but it has occasionally dropped as low as .700.  I will continue to monitor it and see what happens.

Aha!  I think this might have done it.  Right now it is still hovering at 1.350 but it has occasionally dropped as low as .700.  I will continue to monitor it and see what happens.

Great!

Keep in mind that software voltage monitoring is notoriously inaccurate, so the fact that the voltages are changing is more telling than their actual values. 

Idunno maybe that was just a coincidence, but it is stuck at 1.360 now, it doesn't fluctuate at all except occasionally it will go into the 1.200 range. 

Idunno maybe that was just a coincidence, but it is stuck at 1.360 now, it doesn't fluctuate at all except occasionally it will go into the 1.200 range. 

What is your processor usage and are the multipliers fluctuating?

What is your processor usage and are the multipliers fluctuating?

CPU utilization is around 25% and I don't see the multipliers fluctuating.

One of the settings that I can;t find in the bios is Core Ratio Mode-- which explains a lot.  The only setting I see with Core Ratio is whether it is manual or auto, and it is set to manual of course with 47 as the multiplier.

I got some help from a friend with this issue-- he said he had a similar problem.  Turns out that my power settings in Windows had cpu frequency at minimum 100%.  Now I feel silly.  Adaptive voltage seems to be working fine now, thanks for everybody's help, it has been very much appreciated.