A way to gain programming experience

MisterWhite

So i've been learning c++ in school, and off school, started c#, and i was wondering is there another good way to gain xp without doing those console exercises?

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

Start a project and stick to it.

Pretty much that.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

So i've been learning c++ in school, and off school, started c#, and i was wondering is there another good way to gain xp without doing those console exercises?

CodeAcademy?

Koding?

Oh, nvm, no console stuff.

Yeah, what Mr. Jiggawatts said, just do something and use StackOverflow for things you don't know. Remember to take notes on what you don't know.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Write a program

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Maybe do a few aurdino projects, rapsberry pi ect. 

I would have thought a fun way to do it was get one of those lego robot kits, and do a few projects in that. A few books on that, as well as the aurdino stuff. 

The more hands on, slightly closer to the metal approach might help you learn the basics a bit more enthusiastically. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

just make, make, make!!!

or

just code, code, code!!!

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Start a project and stick to it.

Pretty much that.

what do you call a project(example please :) )?

Does an application that sorts files into folders count? (i know my friend made it)

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

Think about something, not too easy, not too complicated.

Decide on what language.

Do it, no matter how or what. Google everything and gain knowledge.

VB6

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

is there another good way to gain xp without doing those console exercises?

What do you mean by console exercises? Do you mean you want to skip creating Console apps and move onto something with a GUI?

Think of a program that you had never done before, the ones that'll challenge you and won't be a repetition of something you already knew. That's how I learned C# (not C++ but same rules apply). I remember creating a game almost every week until pretty much any game I tried to make shared similar concepts with the ones I've created in the past. 

I guess you know you've learned when you aren't getting challenged anymore and if given a problem, you could easily analyze the necessary code to create the program in your head and then it's just a matter of typing it.

What do you mean by console exercises? Do you mean you want to skip creating Console apps and move onto something with a GUI?

this kind of http://practiceexercisescsharp.blogspot.com.es/

I was just wondering is there a better way to gain experience

what do you call a project(example please :) )?

Does an application that sorts files into folders count? (i know my friend made it)

A few projects I've done in Python (the implementation will be very different, naturally, in C++/C#, but this might give you an idea for types of projects):

• A random music generator that takes a given array of frequency values and spits out a .wav file with a pure tone that randomly jumps between those values.  It starts at one frequency, plays it for either a random time or a user-defined time, then picks another tone from the list, smoothly transitions to it, rinse and repeat until the output file is of the desired length.  It can overlay multiple tone series on top of each other and make some neat white noise-type stuff.
  • Various scripts to simulate hundredsor thousands of hands of various dice games to get an idea of typical point distributions.  E.g.: a script that rolls Yahtzee hands and sees how long it takes to get a Yahtzee.  It rolls thousands of Yahtzees, then plots them by number of rolls until the magic 5-of-a-kind roll comes up (so you get an idea of how long it typically takes to actually roll a Yahtzee).  Also, one that simultes thousands of hands of Ship, Captain, Crew to get a sense of what the points look like over many, many hands.
  • An HTML scraper to automatically pull forum post data (post text, user name, post date, etc) from specific forums (as of now it requires re-writing for each different forum I want to take data from), which I hope to use to create a large corpus of forum posts for doing some corpus linguistics work with (I haven't actually run it beyond just a few test cases yet).  Warning, if you do something like this, be sure you ask the admins of the site if it's okay first, because they might really not want you doing something like this.
  • A simulation of the acoustics of the human vocal tract.

Granted, the above are probably a bit more of a scripting language sort of approach, but you can still do them in something like C++/C#/etc.  Alternatively, as people have said, you could invest in a Raspberry Pi or Arduino and some peripherals (though this might run you up a bit of money) and work with using the Pi/Arduino as a microcontroller for, say, a string of LEDs or some robotics.