Best Drive Wiper?

Beeeyeee

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CvfY9JasXGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

A hammer.

Lol, my aunt works for the US ARMY and her job is to wipe drives, and then send them to a building next door to be incinerated.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You can try to find a big a** magnet. 

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Lol, my aunt works for the US ARMY and her job is to wipe drives, and then send them to a building next door to be incinerated.

Why they don't just burn them down then, no need to wipe them first

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

in your experience, whats the best Hard Drive total eraser?

CCleaner is a good option. I used it recently to erase a drive to repurpose in someone else's computer.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Why they don't just burn them down then, no need to wipe them first

Double safety I guess? I mean what if an employee was trying to steal a HDD before it was incinerated.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

18s0sg2ea0m20jpg.jpg

This thing ^

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

*cough*

use bios to wipe drive or dban ISO

encrypt drive

use bios to wipe drive or dban ISO again

done 

GParted. over-right the partition with zeros.

18s0sg2ea0m20jpg.jpg

This thing ^

That thing is old ah, it's IDE

A high powered magnet was what got the job done best and quickest in a pc class I took a while back. 

A big ass electromagnet?

Dban?

My dad works for Time Warner and at the warehouse they have this machine that turns HDD's to fine powder 

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Used to run killdisk, but I've heard that's bad mmkay?

Now I just reformat when reinstalling windows.

Good enough for me.

Optional: Disassemble drive and destroy platters.

May void warranty.  

My dad works for Time Warner and at the warehouse they have this machine that turns HDD's to fine powder 

Uh, then what do they do with the powder?

i doubt that shit is recyclable.

Uh, then what do they do with the powder?

i doubt that shit is recyclable.

They send it some where, idk where tho prob to get melted down into metal bars maybe

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

That thing is old ah, it's IDE

Still, it works! :D

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

data_killer_hard_drive_eraser.jpg

We have something similar in our office. Ours is a bit smaller then this though.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

in your experience, whats the best Hard Drive total eraser?

thermite.

Bar that, you basically just need to write 0s over the disk a few times. 1 pass isn't enough, and can still be recoverable, DOD require 12 passes, just makes it a lot harder to recover the information. heck, given enough money even then it is still recoverable, planes have gone down and they have still been able to recover enough data to restore useful data.

However you need to ask yourself, is someone really going to go to the effort to recover your info? Depends on how much the data is worth. Your <tech company> and just discovered how to economically do cold fusion? throw that drive into a smelter. Your personal drive with a few steam games installed? use it as a paper weight, or make the platters coasters, it isn't even worth it to erase.

We use a very large version of what Somik posted to erase disks and tapes. Then we throw it into an industrial grinder. Why? Because of the sensitivity of what is on the medium.

When you wipe an SSD, there is no residual magnetic state left behind, so you can feel confident with software solutions. If it is a mechanical drive, physical destruction is the best option if you really don't want people getting what is on it. After a certain point the thief or whomever trying to recover your data isn't going to spend large sums of money to recover your data, so you have to gauge how badly somebody would want what is on your drive, and take measures against it.

Nudes of yourself? Yea I think a triple pass DoD wipe using Darik's boot and nuke would be good. I don't think somebody is going to pay to send it out to be looked at under an electron microscope to pull your nudes off the drive. 

Evading taxes from the IRS and have incriminating evidence on your drive? Yea, write 0s for a week straight, dismantle, destroy each platter and bury in different states lol.

If you still want the disks to be usable after, use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). You can boot into it from a CD/DVD/Flash Drive, and then have it do various wiping procedures depending on how securely you want it erased. But in reality a single pass to all 0's or all 1's is enough to irrecoverably erase all the data.