What's a d tap connector?

markoskerass
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

The title is pretty much self explanatory. I have an IDX X3 lite light that uses a d tap connector. Is there any way I can use an adapter to use it on a newer camcorder?

A d-tap connector, like in the image shown above, is a special type of power cable used to connect devices to large V-mount or Gold mount batteries.  The image shown by Comic_Sans_MS shows the end of the d-tap cable that connects to the batteries.  The other end of the cable can be whatever shape/size of connection port the device uses, though it usually looks like the power connector for a laptop.

So for your IDX lights, as long as you find a compatible power source that will provide the right amount of electrical power you should be able to use it.  It doesn't have to be a d-tap source, it can be an AC adapter, a USB power station, etc. with a suitable connection and right amount of "juice".

Here's an image of a V-mount battery with a d-tap port.  The d-tap port are the two copper connection points on the lower side of the battery.

968d1161444778-advice-hd-251e-basic-setu

The title is pretty much self explanatory. I have an IDX X3 lite light that uses a d tap connector. Is there any way I can use an adapter to use it on a newer camcorder?

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

A d-tap connector, like in the image shown above, is a special type of power cable used to connect devices to large V-mount or Gold mount batteries.  The image shown by Comic_Sans_MS shows the end of the d-tap cable that connects to the batteries.  The other end of the cable can be whatever shape/size of connection port the device uses, though it usually looks like the power connector for a laptop.

So for your IDX lights, as long as you find a compatible power source that will provide the right amount of electrical power you should be able to use it.  It doesn't have to be a d-tap source, it can be an AC adapter, a USB power station, etc. with a suitable connection and right amount of "juice".

Here's an image of a V-mount battery with a d-tap port.  The d-tap port are the two copper connection points on the lower side of the battery.

968d1161444778-advice-hd-251e-basic-setu

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Here's a list of on-camera LED lights you can buy if you don't want to waste time looking for a compatible power source for your IDX light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=2026&N=4018899804&mnp=20&mxp=

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Alright, thanks a lot!

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight