Wireing question

Mods_o_joy
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Green is ground?

Yes that's been the norm for a long time now, the green wire is your ground wire if you device operates at 120V if in the USA.

I'm building an entertainment center and need to know what color is the ground, hot and neutral on a standard USA (Non polarized)Plug

I'm building an entertainment center and need to know what color is the ground, hot and neutral on a standard USA (Non polarized)Plug

Sounds like a job for a licensed ELECTRICIAN 

usually the hot is black and the neutral is white and the ground is just a copper wire with no plastic coating on it 

and if its a 3 way one the red would also be hot. and if there's a lot of white wires look at the base and if you see a black mark they made it into a hot wire but that's usually lazy people who do that not a electrician that installs it 

I mean on the ACTUAL PLUG, ya know? The thing that goes into the wall

yeah the bottom one that usually round is the ground the right should be hot and the left neutral

It's basically the round middle prong is ground, the right small slot is hot and left is neutral, I don't recommend messing with this if you don't fully understand what your doing:

electricity-tiles-type-B-200-px.jpg

The wire was from an old intercom, the wires are green and black

Do you have a photo of the connections we can give you a more accurate idea of what is what.

I have no idea how to post a photo in the thread

Easiest to to just use imgur and link to it here or use the full editor to attach an image.

Yeah as I said it is likely green = ground as that is what is suppose to be used but wire colors used can vary but black is almost always one of the power lines, white is neutral, red is higher voltage, green is ground, and blue and yellow are non standard uses.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

oh ok it's a double insulated device so it has no ground or is old, check to see what operating voltage it uses and if the device has 3 wires and it got cut extra short and put into the plastic part.

The white wire is blending in with the backdrop, I have a crap camera

The white wire is blending in with the backdrop, I have a crap camera

What there are only two wires in the photo...

If there is a white one as you said, then that's neutral black is hot and green is ground, not really much more than that.

Green is ground?

Yes that's been the norm for a long time now, the green wire is your ground wire if you device operates at 120V if in the USA.