Help Needed To connect Asus Strix 970 to RM850

everypaper
Go to solution Solved by typographie,

this is the cable i have

http://imgur.com/l4PKHHz

This looks like two 6+2 connectors on one cable. Your GTX 970 needs one 8-pin. So you just need to connect one 6+2 pin male end to it. Your PSU may have come with a cable that has a single 6+2 end on it—if so, use that one so you don't have the other 6+2 connector dangling around in your case. It plugs into the "6+2 PCI-E" section on the back of your PSU.

Video cards sometimes need 6-pin plugs, and sometimes they need 8-pin ones. Additionally, some need more than one plug. The 6+2 connector allows a PSU maker to provide compatibility with both types with a single cable type, so that's what most PSUs have today.

I have somehow confused myself on how to connect the two together. I'm a novice builder and yeah just need help installing it. I don't think I have the right cable either, but I'm not sure, Any help is appreciated.

this is the cable i have

this is the psu side

http://imgur.com/CKb2haT

this is the asus 970 side

http://imgur.com/V5m5gyo

can i and how do i connect them? which part goes where =/. ty

You need to connect it to one of the 6+2 pcie power sockets on the power supply using a 6+2pin cable (or an 8-pin directly if you have one)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-SNIP-

Welcome to the forum!

An 8 pin or a 6+2 pin PCIe cable will plug into the 970.

This is a 6+2:

8-pin_pcie.jpg

This is a 8:

free-shipping-from-factory-4-Pin-to-8-Pi

Both will work the same.

Plug the end of the cable where it says "Type 3" into the power supply's "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" area.

Plug any one of the two other ends that aren't labeled and look like the first image into the GPU, done!

Hope this helps.

The solid 8 pin side goes into the psu where labelled pcie, and the ends that have 6+2 pins go into the video card.

this is the cable i have

This looks like two 6+2 connectors on one cable. Your GTX 970 needs one 8-pin. So you just need to connect one 6+2 pin male end to it. Your PSU may have come with a cable that has a single 6+2 end on it—if so, use that one so you don't have the other 6+2 connector dangling around in your case. It plugs into the "6+2 PCI-E" section on the back of your PSU.

Video cards sometimes need 6-pin plugs, and sometimes they need 8-pin ones. Additionally, some need more than one plug. The 6+2 connector allows a PSU maker to provide compatibility with both types with a single cable type, so that's what most PSUs have today.

So for Everyone that has replied, i can leave the extra 6+2 pin connector dangling, because there is no where to connect that? is that correct?

So for Everyone that has replied, i can leave the extra 6+2 pin connector dangling, because there is no where to connect that? is that correct?

Yup, might want to cable manage that tho.

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

Yes, don't need to worry about that one

That is correct. The amount of power a certain video card model needs is a variable, and yours happens to need only a single 8-pin plug + the power it gets from the PCIe slot.

Kind of inelegant to have it dangling in your case, though. Often power supplies with a two-headed cable like that often have one with a single plug as well. If yours doesn't, you'll just have to do whatever you can to tuck it back or whatever.