How common is it to retain your OS after a MOBO switch?

Aerodash

After my PSU took out my motherboard and processor along with it, I switched to a different brand of board with a differently sized cpu socket. I bought a new copy of windows fully expecting to have to use it, but after replacing the parts the PC booted right back into windows 8.1.

I'm certainly not complaining, but what's up with that?

Your operating system is stored on your hard drive, not your motherboard.

This.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

After my PSU took out my motherboard and processor along with it, I switched to a different brand of board with a differently sized cpu socket. I bought a new copy of windows fully expecting to have to use it, but after replacing the parts the PC booted right back into windows 8.1.

I'm certainly not complaining, but what's up with that?

As long as it isn't an OEM copy it doesn't really care.

Your operating system is stored on your hard drive, not your motherboard.

OEM copies complain if you change the motherboard, since it ties the motherboard to the license(to ensure you don't use the same key on multiple machines).

As long as it isn't an OEM copy it doesn't really care.

OEM copies complain if you change the motherboard, since it ties the motherboard to the license(to ensure you don't use the same key on multiple machines).

I've done a MOBO switch with a OEM copy. It didn't complain..... It did when I re-installed it a few months later :( Must have just fluked it some how....

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

I've done a MOBO switch with a OEM copy. It didn't complain..... It did when I re-installed it a few months later :( Must have just fluked it some how....

I've had systems not complain at all after a full system swap and I've had some complain about a CPU change. With Microsoft, I just cant even.

Well, that clears that up. Thanks for dealing with my tomfoolery.

Multiple sources I found while researching beforehand said that the OS was tied to your motherboard BIOS and would require a new installation of windows. Ah well.