MSI Gaming GTX LED Swap

Geralt

I tried googling on this and only came up with 2 topics on tomshardware with like a few replies. I was wondering if anyone did a LED swap of the gaming dragon logo on the MSI Gaming Twin Frozr cooler. I was thinking of maybe getting a red LED to replace the white one by soldering it. I know people have done it with the gigabyte windforce coolers but not sure on the MSI one.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

I tried googling on this and only came up with 2 topics on tomshardware with like a few replies. I was wondering if anyone did a LED swap of the gaming dragon logo on the MSI Gaming Twin Frozr cooler. I was thinking of maybe getting a red LED to replace the white one by soldering it. I know people have done it with the gigabyte windforce coolers but not sure on the MSI one.

Since it is originally a white LED you could get a colored filter or recolor the MSI logo to the color you need if you don't want to touch the LED's themselves.

Since it is originally a white LED you could get a colored filter or recolor the MSI logo to the color you need if you don't want to touch the LED's themselves.

Even so, I would need some sort of instructions before i go prying into a 300 buck piece of hardware. I can get hold of some coloured filter, I also could spray paint the current white plastic.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Even so, I would need some sort of instructions before i go prying into a 300 buck piece of hardware. I can get hold of some coloured filter, I also could spray paint the current white plastic.

You might want a dye since most spray paints are opaque even in thin layers. The assembly isn't that difficult to open the shroud can be removed from a few screws behind the fan blades and around the edge of the shroud if I recall. The LED module should be just screwed in place like the red accent on the cooler amongst other stuff.

You might want a dye since most spray paints are opaque even in thin layers. The assembly isn't that difficult to open the shroud can be removed from a few screws behind the fan blades and around the edge of the shroud if I recall. The LED module should be just screwed in place like the red accent on the cooler amongst other stuff.

Hmm I haven't took it apart yet but if I'm not wrong, the logo's actually cut out on the shroud itself, then a white piece of plastic is screwed on the back. I need to take it apart to see of course. If it was like a stencil type, it would make the job easier to just replace the white plastic and put a red one in its place.

I'll update the thread when I get around to it.

~~~SnapDragon~~~