Node 202 home server build

SIGSEGV

I'm building a home server, it's ITX because that's the only form factor small enough to get my mum to let me keep it in the living room (next to our router so I can connect it via ethernet). I'll be virtualising everything using proxmox, with most of the web servers using asmttpd (since none of the websites I'll be hosting are going to need post requests) and Debian server (or something else I'm not quite sure which distro to pick) because it will mostly be simple stuff, with the odd nodeJS server or whatever for any projects, I will also be using it as a NAS with SFTP and SMB access. If this all runs fine and I still have resources left over I might add a local git server, an open wireless access point that puts everything through TOR and a game server ontop of that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£64.39 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard (£77.94 @ Aria PC)

Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£16.82 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.50 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.50 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case (£79.55 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Total: £319.70

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 11:15 BST+0100

There is no power supply because the Node 202 comes with one.

There are 2 1TB drives which I will be putting in RAID 1 because I don't want my stuff to be destroyed if one drive fails (because I'll be using it for a NAS).

I will increase the amount of RAM when I get round to it, 4GB is just temporary, I might even buy 8GB to start off with so I can expand it to 16GB when i get the money.

I'm using an APU because I want to reserve the PCIE slot for something else.

I'm using the Node 202 because it's small enough that my mum will let me keep it in the living room and has space for a PCIE card.

I'm using ASMTTPD because it's written in assembly and so will be far less resource intensive.

I'm going the AMD route because it is both the best bang-for-buck and I don't like Intel as a company.

APU arrived:

COsdQVzWwAEiYRA.jpg

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

this should be pretty sweet. what are you gonna do with the PCIe slot?

I was thinking about putting an ethernet card with a bunch of ports on it so that I could have run PFsense instance and link my PC up to it.

• 4 months later...

Node 202 arrived :D

CYxb79aWkAAi3an.jpg

CYxdiqLWMAAigsd.jpg