Buying A New Monitor

TheLastPixel

Hey Guys/ Girls,

I have a Lenovo Y560P Laptop, and the screen has been broken for months now, So I've been stuck using a Samsung SyncMaster 153v 14" monitor which has a 4:3 resolution, which makes playing games like counter strike and gta a pain in the ass. Anyway I was at a friend's house a few months ago and I pluged my laptop into his new monitor, I don't recall but it was some ultra clear samsung  25" LED monitor, and I was playing FarCry 3 on it, now my laptop is pretty old but it does itself justice, I would usually be able to play FarCry 3 without any lag what so ever using the inbuilt monitor on my laptop, but using my friend's monitor, the lag just makes it unplayable. Now I'm looking to buy a new monitor so I can enjoy some games after my exams but I'm just curious as to what I have to take into account when buying a new monitor, what causes lag etc in games?

Thanks In Advance

Joseph

The monitor itself doesn't cause lag.  It's the GPU that powers the monitor.  You should also keep the refresh rate in mind.  For example, 60hz monitors will experience screen tearing if the game goes above 60fps.  If you are doing graphic design, ips panels are a must.  If you plan on mounting it to a wall or your own mounting stand, you need VESA mounts.  Screen size and resolution are also important.  Honestly, the most important part of the monitor is your budget.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The monitor itself doesn't cause lag.  It's the GPU that powers the monitor.  You should also keep the refresh rate in mind.  For example, 60hz monitors will experience screen tearing if the game goes above 60fps.  If you are doing graphic design, ips panels are a must.  If you plan on mounting it to a wall or your own mounting stand, you need VESA mounts.  Screen size and resolution are also important.  Honestly, the most important part of the monitor is your budget.

Monitors do create lag...

Hey Guys/ Girls,

I have a Lenovo Y560P Laptop, and the screen has been broken for months now, So I've been stuck using a Samsung SyncMaster 153v 14" monitor which has a 4:3 resolution, which makes playing games like counter strike and gta a pain in the ass. Anyway I was at a friend's house a few months ago and I pluged my laptop into his new monitor, I don't recall but it was some ultra clear samsung  25" LED monitor, and I was playing FarCry 3 on it, now my laptop is pretty old but it does itself justice, I would usually be able to play FarCry 3 without any lag what so ever using the inbuilt monitor on my laptop, but using my friend's monitor, the lag just makes it unplayable. Now I'm looking to buy a new monitor so I can enjoy some games after my exams but I'm just curious as to what I have to take into account when buying a new monitor, what causes lag etc in games?

Thanks In Advance

Joseph

Probably the most important thing to note is that the "response time" spec has nothing to do with latency/lag, don't make the common mistake of assuming it is. Monitor latency is never listed on the spec sheets.

Just for info, in case you are really looking for a new laptop too.

Id try and find Lenovo z70-80 in your country, compare among all internet stores.

The z70-80 has a 17.3" 1920x1080 60hz IPS screen and a 840m inside. And its the cheapest 17.3" IPS laptop out there - for 600-700$.

Just make sure its a FullHD IPS. Some of those same models have garbage TN screens.

And then you dont need a separate external monitor.