R9 295X2 Weird Performance Issues

Paraffin

Hi Guys

Been watching Linus for ages and thought this community could help me out with a very frustrating issue.

Hardware

Gigabyte Z97P-D3

i5 4690K

R9 295X2

16 GB RAM

Corsair RM1000 PSU

All Drives SSD

BenQ GW2765 1440p Monitor 

When playing BF4 with the 295X2 I get terrible frame rates most of the time around 35-60 FPS, I can fix this sometimes by Disabling Cross Fire and Enabling it again and then rebooting but this does not always fix the issue. 

When things are going well it plays sweetly at around 80 - 120 FPS, at all times (Good and Bad) the GPU's are both being used according to Afterburner.

I have lived with this since the card was purchased and previous NVidia card ran flawlessly but had nothing but headaches with this one. 

Things I have tried so far

Disable ULPS

Remove Nvidia Drivers fully in Safe Mode using Driver Sweeper

Fresh Install of Windows 8.1

All versions of drivers including Beta

This isn't limited to BF4 but that's the game I play the most.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers 

David

Hi Guys

Been watching Linus for ages and thought this community could help me out with a very frustrating issue.

Hardware

Gigabyte Z97P-D3

i5 4690K

R9 295X2

16 GB RAM

Corsair RM1000 PSU

All Drives SSD

When playing BF4 with the 295X2 I get terrible frame rates most of the time around 35-60 FPS, I can fix this sometimes by Disabling Cross Fire and Enabling it again and then rebooting but this does not always fix the issue. 

When things are going well it plays sweetly at around 80 - 120 FPS, at all times (Good and Bad) the GPU's are both being used according to Afterburner.

I have lived with this since the card was purchased and previous NVidia card ran flawlessly but had nothing but headaches with this one. 

Disable ULPS

Cheers 

David

Sounds like a driver or other software conflict issues.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

are you playing in fullscreen or fullscreen windowed? Aside from the game is any other software running in the background when that happens?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

are you playing in fullscreen or fullscreen windowed? Aside from the game is any other software running in the background when that happens?

Yes full screen as far as I can tell

It happens on a absolutely fresh install on Windows 8.1 so really nothing running in the background.

Sounds like a driver or other software conflict issues.

Could be driver but I have the latest drivers for everything :(

Hi Guys

Hardware

Gigabyte Z97P-D3

i5 4690K

R9 295X2

16 GB RAM

Corsair RM1000 PSU

All Drives SSD

Disable ULPS

Cheers 

David

How long have you had your RM1000, I had one of these and it didn't work well with my 295x2 and died completely in the end. Once I changed to my seasonic 1050 all was well. Any chance of getting another psu to test ?

How long have you had your RM1000, I had one of these and it didn't work well with my 295x2 and died completely in the end. Once I changed to my seasonic 1050 all was well. Any chance of getting another psu to test ?

I have had it for 4-5 months, my friend has the same one with a 295X2 and has no issues.. 

It would probably be easier to give him my 295X2 than rip his out, no one else I know has a PSU big enough to test via.

Could be driver but I have the latest drivers for everything :(

have you tried older ones? sometimes new drivers are broken

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have had it for 4-5 months, my friend has the same one with a 295X2 and has no issues.. 

It would probably be easier to give him my 295X2 than rip his out, no one else I know has a PSU big enough to test via.

may be worth a try just to rule it out. 

have you tried older ones? sometimes new drivers are broken

I tried all drivers from 14.x to 15.7 which I am on now

may be worth a try just to rule it out. 

Think I will and if it works then I guess it rules out the GPU being the issue but it doesn't rule out PSU I guess as he has a better mobo, i7-4970k so it won't be conclusive.