Frequent High-Latency Spikes on ONE computer only...

Simba
Go to solution Solved by Jonny,

If you wana run ethernet cable to can pin it to the skirting or if the router and your pc is near a window. you can run the cable though the window. You can get flat ethernet cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLAT-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B0017YXFHI

OR 

Home plugs are good and I got lots of friends who use them with no issues at all (In the UK like you.). They use your home wiring to make a connect to each other by plugging them in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442169520&sr=8-1&keywords=homeplug

Linus shownig how to setup. Different product but same way.

Boot a Linux Live cd off a usb drive. and then test your issue on there. That way you can rule out Hardware issue.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Click try not install :)

I am very confused. To say the least... 

I have an Edimax wireless card installed in my PC, it is not possible to connect via Ethernet due to the positioning of my bedroom in my house where my PC is. Wireless is my ONLY option. 

In the past few months I have been getting spikes in my latency on my PC of up to 800ms for around 2-3 minutes a time. This seemed to be fixable by restarting my Virgin Media SuperHub 2 but not fixable by rejoining, the actual hub had to be restarted if I didn't want to wait. I aqcuired a Netgear wired router for free and tried putting my superhub2 into modem mode then plugging in the netgear router via ethernet but unfortunately this did not solve the problem. 

I have since unplugged the netgear router as it just slowed me down believe it or not and gone back to connecting directly to the superhub2. I then borrowed a friends wireless adapter to see if that fixed it, it didn't.  I am still experiencing perfect internet and then getting extreme latency out of nowhere. 

Can I point out that...

A ) All other laptops/pcs on the network remain FINE during these spikes. 

B ) The latency affects my connection to my old laptop, which I leave running a teamspeak server for me and a couple of friends. I connect through ipv4 internally so the connection problem is ON MY NETWORK, not my connection to the internet. 

C ) I just did a ping test against my router (192.168.100.1) and had some strange results; 4ms, 41ms, 7ms, 21ms (in that order). I then tested again and got an average of over 850ms (this was during a latency/ping spike)

D ) Ping spikes are more frequent if I am using a web browser. 

any help would be very much appreciated. please ask questions if it will help. 

Update wireless driver to the latest software.

1. How many wifi bars goes windows say you got?
  2. Whats the link speed in Status? 
  3. What firewall/antivirus are you running?

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

If you have an android use wifi anyliser. Is your wifi on 2.4gz or 5gz? and check to see what else is on that channel also to make sure there is no interference. I've heard of microwaves and stuff like that cutting wifi off, its a pretty common known issue. If you give us more information about your network setup we might be able to help you out.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Which NIC are you using and what is the driver version?

I'm using a (rather cheap) Edimax EW-7612PIn V2 that my friend gave to me about a week ago when I presumed mine was broken. He was using it fine (for online gaming) for months with no problems. I'm not sure of the driver version but it's the latest one on the Edimax website. 

Update wireless driver to the latest software.

1. How many wifi bars goes windows say you got?
  2. Whats the link speed in Status? 
  3. What firewall/antivirus are you running?

As mentioned above: I am on the latest software. 

1. It's almost always five but I have RARELY seen it drop down to four. 

2. Link speed is 144.0Mbps when it's on five bars and 130.0Mbps when it's on four bars. 

3. I am running Bitdefender Total Security 2016, however I was having the same problems with AVG. 

If you have an android use wifi anyliser. Is your wifi on 2.4gz or 5gz? and check to see what else is on that channel also to make sure there is no interference. I've heard of microwaves and stuff like that cutting wifi off, its a pretty common known issue. If you give us more information about your network setup we might be able to help you out.

I'm on 2.4gz because that's all my wireless adapter supports although my VM sh2 does support 5 and I am considering upgrading. 

I have used wifi analyzer and I'm on channel 6 because all the others are heavily used (especially 1 and 11 for some reason), there are about 7 other networks in my area alone. 

I understand that there may be interference but all other laptops/pcs work PERFECTLY fine and almost NEVER get high ping above 30 so I do not understand why I am suffering. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT : I am considering running ethernet upstairs to my bedroom, can anyone recommend a way of doing this? 

EDIT #2 : I just did a speed test and found that the laptop right next to my PC is getting 48Mbps on speedtest.net while my PC is getting 15Mbps.

If you wana run ethernet cable to can pin it to the skirting or if the router and your pc is near a window. you can run the cable though the window. You can get flat ethernet cable.

OR 

Home plugs are good and I got lots of friends who use them with no issues at all (In the UK like you.). They use your home wiring to make a connect to each other by plugging them in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442169520&sr=8-1&keywords=homeplug

Boot a Linux Live cd off a usb drive. and then test your issue on there. That way you can rule out Hardware issue.

OR 

Thanks I am 100% certain it's my connection to my router now because I have been through A ) Two routers and B )  Two wireless cards. 

Are powerline adapters as fast as ethernet?

not as fast but pretty close. much better than wireless.

not as fast but pretty close. much better than wireless.

Thanks for your help. Ive ordered a tp-link powerline adapter kit off scan that should be here on tuesday. Hopefully it will stop my bad ping

Yeah hopefully it will. ;)

WORKS PERFECTLY!

They arrived today and took seconds to set up. I'm now getting my full 60Mbps (although it's actually showing 61Mbps on speedtest.net)

My ping to speedtest.net is a much more respectable 11ms and pinging my router I get between 2 and 3. It's a LOT more stable. Thanks for all your help! :)

Good to know its working. Just make sure you take out the wifi card to stop it connecting to the router on two network adapters as that can cause other issues.

Good to know its working. Just make sure you take out the wifi card to stop it connecting to the router on two network adapters as that can cause other issues.

I've disconnected from my wifi and selected "forget this network". I'll take our my wifi card later if it causes any problems but if not I'll leave it in there because it's less likely to go missing there ;) (I'm a very disorganised person! :))