Am I doomed? UPDATE: Probably not doomed!

Real_PhillBert

So I bought a 500GB 850 Evo to put in RAID0 with my current 500 GB 840 Evo. 

I installed the new SSD and initialized it; all looked good. Then I put my two SSD's in RAID0 and started a clean install of W10 and things have come to a stand still.

I got to the W10 install pages, and it went through a few "downloading this," "Installing that," "Checking stuff" pages and then it went to a screen that said "Scanning and repairing drive F: Drive F: is my new 850 Evo. I got this screen about 8PM last night and it was at 9% when I went to bed at 11PM, then I got up this morning at 6AM to go to work and it is at 59%.

I'm at work now but this is weighing on me a bit so I did a google search and people seem to be saying this means there is something up with the drive...

How much fun am I in for?

UPDATE: I asked my GF to check on it since she is there, and she sent me a pic of it now sitting at a windows splash screen!

I dont know what was up with the 10+ hour drive scan and repair but it appears to have finished. I will update again when I know more. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Think its pretty much a bad idea to try to raid two none identical drives...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I don't know about your issue unfortunately, but why would you want to RAID 0 two SSDs together?

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

rip the ssd

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

I don't know about your issue unfortunately, but why would you want to RAID 0 two SSDs together?

"Insert Linus screaming "for the speed""

Already had one, needed more space. For me, it's not about speed. 

rip the ssd

RAID0?

Two different drives?

Different IOPS?

Different speeds?

Yes, you're doomed (and slightly foolish)

Literally everywhere I looked (including here) said it was fine to RAID two different drives as long as they are the same capacity. Probably not ideal, but will work. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2387830/raid-ssds-capacity.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1881117/setup-raid-ssd-brands-controllers-size.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1777036/brand-ssd-run-raid0.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1772198

And Here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53813-how-to-choosing-your-storage-devices-and-configuration/?p=722436

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So I bought a 500GB 850 Evo to put in RAID0 with my current 500 GB 840 Evo. 

I installed the new SSD and initialized it; all looked good. Then I put my two SSD's in RAID0 and started a clean install of W10 and things have come to a stand still.

I got to the W10 install pages, and it went through a few "downloading this," "Installing that," "Checking stuff" pages and then it went to a screen that said "Scanning and repairing drive F: Drive F: is my new 850 Evo. I got this screen about 8PM last night and it was at 9% when I went to bed at 11PM, then I got up this morning at 6AM to go to work and it is at 59%.

I'm at work now but this is weighing on me a bit so I did a google search and people seem to be saying this means there is something up with the drive...

How much fun am I in for?

The 840 was known for its speed but in hindsight you should have gotten another 840.  The 850 is much faster and an 840 can't keep up with an 850 in RAID0.  

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

The 840 was known for its speed but in hindsight you should have gotten another 840.  The 850 is much faster and an 840 can't keep up with an 850 in RAID0.  

But the raid array should simply be working at the speed of the slower drive, the 840 in this case. That said, I am not even getting there anyway. 

I would've thought they would work together fine anyway, maybe it's something else.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

But the raid array should simply be working at the speed of the slower drive, the 840 in this case. That said, I am not even getting there anyway. 

That's 100% true, usually. A fast drive can slow down but a slow drive can't speed up.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

That's 100% true, usually. A fast drive can slow down but a slow drive can't speed up.

I'm not convinced the problem I am having is necessarily RAID related. I could be wrong, but I fear the 850 I have has an issue. I did not try to write anything too it before I put it in RAID, simply plugged it in and initialized it to make sure it responded, which it did. 

Not much I can do from my office right now, but I'm seeing what other people think. 

UPDATE: I asked my GF to check on it since she is there, and she sent me a pic of it now sitting at a windows splash screen!

I dont know what was up with the 10+ hour drive scan and repair but it appears to have finished. I will update again when I know more. 

ooo you have a gurlfrend ooo.

I was gonna suggest an RMA if you bought it new

ooo you have a gurlfrend ooo.

I was gonna suggest an RMA if you bought it new

They are scary and difficult to capture lol.

Yeah an RMA was unfortunately an option if it never got passed that. I'm still going to try and figure out what was up with that but I wont know until I get there, if even then.

They are scary and difficult to capture lol.

She hawt? scale of 1-10 10 being super model 1 being gross