FTP Server Help

chicksoup
Go to solution Solved by chicksoup,

In the Filezilla Server is set a passive mode port range from 64548-64649 and then opened the same port range in the windows firewall in and outbound. I only set a local port range and not remote. Then I opened the same port range on client's firewall. Been working great since

Hello guys,

I set up a filezilla server on my main pc so that I can watch all my movies on my phone and anywhere else in my house. I don't want it to be open to the web. The problem I have is that I keep getting the error message 425 can't open data connection transfer. For some reason I only don't get the error when I choose to open all ports in the windows firewall, but I'm afraid of being vulnerable to internet attacks. I set my server to port 64648 and set 64448-64649 as passive ports for transfer.

Any help would be appreciated with getting the server running with the lease vulnerabilities. 

Cheers

Can't say I know how to fix the problem, but I can offer an alternative. If all you want is a server for movies and stuff, try out Plex. It's what I use, and super easy to set up and use. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Can't say I know how to fix the problem, but I can offer an alternative. If all you want is a server for movies and stuff, try out Plex. It's what I use, and super easy to set up and use. 

sadly I don't feel like paying for plex, but I prefer browsing through the folder since these indexing things might not recognize all the files, also the reason I want to use FTP is because I plan on transferring a bunch of game files to my brother

sadly I don't feel like paying for plex, but I prefer browsing through the folder since these indexing things might not recognize all the files, also the reason I want to use FTP is because I plan on transferring a bunch of game files to my brother

Fair enough, although as an FYI, Plex is free. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I've only used the Filezilla client.

Last time I checked the Plex app cost $5, but you don't technically need it.  Plex is insane...highly recommend.

Try the ES File Explorer app.  Very nice tool for FTP.  Especially for moving movies to your phone (not sure if available on iphone).

In the Filezilla Server is set a passive mode port range from 64548-64649 and then opened the same port range in the windows firewall in and outbound. I only set a local port range and not remote. Then I opened the same port range on client's firewall. Been working great since