SLI 970 or wait

stencebeast32

I am considering buying another gtx 970 to sli with my current one. Now I'm starting to think to just wait and buy a newer graphics card in the next generation/980ti at some point. I run my games at 1440p so my 970 is chugging along in Witcher 3 and MGS:V. Should I save up for a newer/nicer graphics card or should I just buy another 970 and sli?

If it was me then I would probably sli the 970 as this should be more powerful than a 980ti (I may be wrong tho) 

Personally id sell and get a 980Ti.

The 970 will loose it's value fast!

I'd sell your current 970 and try to spring for a 980 Ti. SLI has issues with microstuttering and as such I suggest the single stronger card. Also, SLI effectively doubles heat output and power consumption, so bear that in mind.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

dont sell your 970 because you will have to sell it, to then lose money when you could just buy another.... thats what im doing. no  point losing money to have to spend more.

think of it this way

i paid £284 for my 970, if i sold it id get about £230, thats a loss of £54

a 980ti would cost me £563 so that means id have to spend £333

i could buy another 970 for £230 second hand, that over a 980ti saves me £103

if i buy one brand new it will cost me £275 so that still gives me a saying of £58.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I am considering buying another gtx 970 to sli with my current one. Now I'm starting to think to just wait and buy a newer graphics card in the next generation/980ti at some point. I run my games at 1440p so my 970 is chugging along in Witcher 3 and MGS:V. Should I save up for a newer/nicer graphics card or should I just buy another 970 and sli?

no, don't go x2 970 in sli if you want to play at 1440p

sell your current 970 and get a single 980 ti or x2 980 in sli or x2 980 ti in sli

or

wait until pascal

BigDay

Personally I'm leaning towards SLIing and waiting for pascal. Then I don't have to deal with selling my current 970 and it's cheaper. Anyone know when pascal is rumored to release?

EDIT:Just realized Pascal might use a new socket, don't know how I feel about that. 

Wait untill the dx12 thing is either solved or 900 series proves to not be compatable with dx12.  As of right now its not looking good for Maxwell cards on dx12, just turn your settings down a bit and save yourself a lot of trouble in the future.

I've got SLI 970's and I play everything on a 1440p monitor.

On the witcher 3 i play with a mixture of ultra and high settings and get roughly 65-70fps preetty consistently (unless I'm in Novigrad, then it drops to 57-60fps)

I played with hairworks on until about a week ago, and got around 48-55fps, but decided it wasn't worth it.

MGS is locked at 60fps, so I'm not sure my actual framerate at 1440p... I have the settings at highest possible and have never been below 60fps.

Here's some things I wish I would've done differently that might help you;

Make sure the output types are what you need, and will need in the future. The MSI only has one displayport.

Get a blower design, it'll really help with case temps. I have two MSI in a corsair 200r and it got a little toasty until I got new fans.

SLI issues aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be, ARK: Survival Evolved is the onl game I have any difficulty with.

My firestrike results-

FireStrike 1.1 Graphics score: 20800

All that said, if you find a way to sell your 970 for enough to get a 980 ti for around the price you were going to spend on second 970 I'd always do that

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

I've got SLI 970's and I play everything on a 1440p monitor.

On the witcher 3 i play with a mixture of ultra and high settings and get roughly 65-70fps preetty consistently (unless I'm in Novigrad, then it drops to 57-60fps)

I played with hairworks on until about a week ago, and got around 48-55fps, but decided it wasn't worth it.

MGS is locked at 60fps, so I'm not sure my actual framerate at 1440p... I have the settings at highest possible and have never been below 60fps.

Here's some things I wish I would've done differently that might help you;

Make sure the output types are what you need, and will need in the future. The MSI only has one displayport.

Get a blower design, it'll really help with case temps. I have two MSI in a corsair 200r and it got a little toasty until I got new fans.

SLI issues aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be, ARK: Survival Evolved is the onl game I have any difficulty with.

My firestrike results-

FireStrike 1.1 Graphics score: 20800

All that said, if you find a way to sell your 970 for enough to get a 980 ti for around the price you were going to spend on second 970 I'd always do that

What's ur cpu to get 20k in firestrike I only get 19k with sli 980tis

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

If it's an EVGA 970 purchased within the last 90 days you might be able to step it up to a 980Ti for just the price difference between the two cards and the costs of shipping the 970 to EVGA and the shipping the 980Ti to your Pl lace.

This is what I did with my 970s in SLI. The 980Ti you get back is the 4991 SKU which is a reference PCB with EVGA's ACX fan design.

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

Personally I'm leaning towards SLIing and waiting for pascal. Then I don't have to deal with selling my current 970 and it's cheaper. Anyone know when pascal is rumored to release?

EDIT:Just realized Pascal might use a new socket, don't know how I feel about that.

I have 2 msi gtx 970's. The only problem is heat. But other than that. They run great. No stutter no nothing. Dont believe these ppl, believe me who have experienced with the hardware. I play gta 5 1440p max settings on my rog swift monitor and got around 70fps average, which is almost double performance

people always say "sli has issues not worth it bla bla" sli scaling isnt really an issue these days, he will save quite a bit just buying another as he will lose money on selling his 970.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

people always say "sli has issues not worth it bla bla" sli scaling isnt really an issue these days, he will save quite a bit just buying another as he will lose money on selling his 970.

exactly, plus scaling issues only happens when the gpu just launched, 970 came out for a while now and drivers are pretty optimized, these kids dont know what they're talking about, they are just saying sli are bad cus thats what linus said

I have 2 msi gtx 970's. The only problem is heat. But other than that. They run great. No stutter no nothing. Dont believe these ppl, believe me who have experienced with the hardware. I play gta 5 1440p max settings on my rog swift monitor and got around 70fps average, which is almost double performance

I pretty much had the same experience with my 970s. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that EVGA gave me the option to step-up to 980Tis, I would have been perfectly content with 970s in SLI for my Swift ROG (did we just become best friends) as well. It's plenty of power for 1440p and even very high settings on many games, but the only really intensive game I play is GTA V.

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

I pretty much had the same experience with my 970s. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that EVGA gave me the option to step-up to 980Tis, I would have been perfectly content with 970s in SLI for my Swift ROG (did we just become best friends) as well. It's plenty of power for 1440p and even very high settings on many games, but the only really intensive game I play is GTA V.

OMFGGGGGG!!!! WE'RE BFFFFFFF!! im kidding lol, but yeah 970's are awesome and the only complain I have is heat, but i just got a 3 extra fans, and it helps a lot, I have 5 fans total in my system, 4 intakes and 1 exhaust, and its actually a lot better, and its getting colder here in Canada, and winter is coming soon so I wouldnt have to worry about the heat anymore

Honestly keep your 970 and get another as others have stated. the 970 is SLI will run games at 1440p no problem. I might be a little biased, and the 980ti wasn't released when I purchased mine but I don't have any regrets with having the two cards as apposed to a 980 or a 980ti. 

Really the only game that has caused me any issues is Arkham Knight. And pretty much everyone else had issues with it regardless of SLI so you will be fine to enjoy games :)

Plus even if the 900 series cards arent supported by DX12 for "Vram Stack" its not like you are going to have to run games that come out next year at low settings. 

System i7-8700k  MSI GTX1080 32GB GSkill  TridentZ ASUS 370-E 1TB WD Black, 256 GB Samsung M.2 SSD,  256 GB Samsung SSD Evo Windows 10

So pretty much I'm planning on waiting for the whole DX12 thing to get settled. If 900 series gets updated then I'll pick up another 970. If not, looks like I'll need a new card anyway. Thanks guys!!! :)