Going to replace my GPU thermal paste

ili199

My XFX R7 260X 1GB Core edition is just a bad card.

It gets extremely hot so extremely noisy even with my custom fan curve and I hate it!

But i have a idea: What is the thermal paste is bad... I could try to replace it just like Linus did in this video

In this video Linus said that is does not matter if you get thermal paste on your PCB but in another video someone said that you should only use non conductive thermal paste because it can kill your GPU if it gets on PCB.

I am planing to use my left over thermal paste from my BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2 to replace the stock one. But no ware in the manual or on BeQuiets website i could see if it was conductive or not.

So here are my 2 questions:

Is it dangerous to use the conductive thermal paste?

And is the BeQuiet thermal paste conductive or not?

Thanks

;)

OH IS THAT SO

<========

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Wait so why isant all thermal paste non conductive?

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

The majority of TIM is non-conductive, and it's pretty likely that bequiet's included one is non-conductive. 

It can be dangerous to use conductive TIM, as it can cause shorts if it gets in the wrong place. Something like Arctic Silver 5 is conductive. I wouldn't recommend using them, as they don't perform any better and have some risks to them. 

[deleted]

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

My XFX R7 260X 1GB Core edition is just a bad card.

It gets extremely hot so extremely noisy even with my custom fan curve and I hate it!

But i have a idea: What is the thermal paste is bad... I could try to replace it just like Linus did in this video

In this video Linus said that is does not matter if you get thermal paste on your PCB but in another video someone said that you should only use non conductive thermal paste because it can kill your GPU if it gets on PCB.

I am planing to use my left over thermal paste from my BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2 to replace the stock one. But no ware in the manual or on BeQuiets website i could see if it was conductive or not.

So here are my 2 questions:

Is it dangerous to use the conductive thermal paste?

And is the BeQuiet thermal paste conductive or not?

Thanks

;)

MHM  ..... YYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH.... TOTALLY LEGIT THAT PROFILE PICTURE......

MMMMHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

The majority of TIM is non-conductive, and it's pretty likely that bequiet's included one is non-conductive. 

It can be dangerous to use conductive TIM, as it can cause shorts if it gets in the wrong place. Something like Arctic Silver 5 is conductive. I wouldn't recommend using them, as they don't perform any better and have some risks to them. 

So I set up a test: put some thermal paste on a peas of paper and just use a multi meter to test the conductivity. And as it is: it isn't conductive.

Baseline test: 40seconds of OCCT's gpu test: 95c 

Replaced the thermal paste

And: 3 min of OCCT's gpu test: caped at about 72c

SO IT WORKED!!!

It got 20c cooler so now it is a lot more silent wile gaming and I love it!

Thanks for the help

Most is non-conductive, i doubt bequiet would use conductive one. Also, just don't put too much on the GPU, but i believe you shouldn't use drop method like on CPUs because the GPUs are larger. I did it for my 580 and it was nowhere near getting on the pcb.

EDIT: 

sry didnt read your last post. Glad it worked, it does indeed ive a nice temp boost. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Most is non-conductive, i doubt bequiet would use conductive one. Also, just don't put too much on the GPU, but i believe you shouldn't use drop method like on CPUs because the GPUs are larger. I did it for my 580 and it was nowhere near getting on the pcb.

EDIT: 

sry didnt read your last post. Glad it worked, it does indeed ive a nice temp boost. 

When i got the cooler of I found out that the R7 260X chip is really small. about 1x2cm. So i just put a small drop on it and well... it worked

When i got the cooler of I found out that the R7 260X chip is really small. about 1x2cm. So i just put a small drop on it and well... it worked

Yeah, back in 580 days the chips were huge. Like 2x as big as now maybe. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG