Do i need to reinstall Windows after a change of Motherboard and CPU?

p9trov

So, I've heard many opinions some say that you are required as you just wont boot up into windows and other mention that its not required and you will need to just uninstall previous motherboard drivers before the motherboard swap. I don't want to try yet as there are some files on my HDD which I will transfer but not until next week as my buddy is coming around with his portable HDD.

My main question is I am changing from a 2500k / Z68 motherboard to 6700k and Z170 (running windows 10 atm), both motherboards are Gigabyte if that makes any difference. The thing is at this stage im not keen on reinstalling windows as I will be getting an SSD replacement with a bigger capacity down the line so I would love it if I could just in terms Plug and Play the new motherboard and CPU. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

So, I've heard many opinions some say that you are required as you just wont boot up into windows and other mention that its not required and you will need to just uninstall previous motherboard drivers before the motherboard swap. I don't want to try yet as there are some files on my HDD which I will transfer but not until next week as my buddy is coming around with his portable HDD.

My main question is I am changing from a 2500k / Z68 motherboard to 6700k and Z170 (running windows 10 atm), both motherboards are Gigabyte if that makes any difference. The thing is at this stage im not keen on reinstalling windows as I will be getting an SSD replacement with a bigger capacity down the line so I would love it if I could just in terms Plug and Play the new motherboard and CPU. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What I would recommend us to uninstall the past drivers from your old hardware if possible. But make sure you have installed the correct drivers for your new hardware

Current PC - CPU: 3570k stock, Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX2, Video card: R9 290 Referance, RAM: 8GB HyperX Beast 1600Mhz @1.5v, PSU: SeaSonic Bronze 520w, Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

Every time I've switched motherboards/CPU the old OS works fine without any changes. I've gone from AMD to Intel and had my Windows 10 installation still work, I've gone from a system with DDR3 to a system with DDR2 and it's still worked, and a few other times

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Moved to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

check out THIS guide by our good friend @ttam

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

First thank you for the kind replies and suggestions. What i would like to ask is the paragon likely to screw up any software or files (in the sense of just not be able to launch the app and have to locate its directory in shortcuts etc)? 

Other than that I would straight up give the paragon a go and not risk trying without doing it.

Not really, just uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.