Watercool Poweredge 2950

toxicnos

If you know about servers you likely know or have used/owned a Dell poweredge 2950. You may also know that they can be quite loud. You can install resistors on the fans to quite it down but that is no tvery good for your processors and can cause unnecessarily high temps. What I was wondering is if you can water cool it so that it is much quieter. While you would need an external pump reservoir and radiator would it be possible as it uses the LGA 771 socket?

As a general rule: Don't watercool servers. If you don't want it to be loud, don't own a rack server.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

As a general rule: Don't watercool servers. If you don't want it to be loud, don't own a rack server.

I don't have a problem with the noise but some people do. I just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

@toxicnos You could, but would defy the point of a server (downtime) and would cause a lot more risk of downtime, let a lone maintenance of the water cooling every 6 months (bleeding and refilling) which could take up a day and in some scenarios, a day downtime could cost a lot (enterprise) or even if you use it so others can host from it. 

Yeah, the idea is cool (no pun intended) but the practicality of it would not be worth it.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510