Half display flicker?

Killswitch49
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

If i set up an eyefinity group wont that mean it will use both monitors for games and stretch the picture between the two?

Yes that would stretch it over the two screens, if you wanted to game on single screen only way would be to disable a display to get rid of that flicker, it's a bit strange that putting the GPU on stock speeds would still cause it to flicker however that's the first time I've seen that happen.

A few weeks ago i got a lg 29um57 (ultrawide) and for a few days know i have been experiencing a flicker of colour (a random shape displayed for a second with no real pattern as far as i can tell). I mostly notice it during games (windowed or full screen) but it can happen on the desktop too. I contacted lg support and they just responded with what looked like a copy pasted "you will have to send it in for servicing". I feel this may not be needed as when i plug my macbook pro in to the display (though the macbook doesn't output ultra wide [could ultrawide be part of the problem?] ) i don't notice any of the flickering. I have tried using both hdmi ports on the monitor, a hdmi output on my gpu (r9 290) and a displayport to hdmi adapter from my gpu's displayport port, all of those scenarios still resulted in the flicker. I have no eyefinity groups set up with my other monitor (lg 23ea73). I have tried everything but installing all the software that came with the monitor (don't see how that could affect it). Any advice would be appreciated.

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

-SNIP-

Are you only using a single monitor first, and keep an eye on your GPU core speeds see when that flickering occurs does the core and mem speed drop down very low into the power save mode. It's a very common issue I've seen with AMD cards but mostly on dual or triple extended displays.

Try reinstalling drivers or updating of course to see if it's just a driver issue.

Edited by W-L

I think you should try installing all the software for the monitor, but preferably download the installers from LG's website.
To me it sounds like a driver problem, did you recently update your graphics drivers?
Or perhaps your drivers are outdated?

It could very well be a driver or software problem.

Graphic drivers can cause a lot of weird things to happen if they aren't properly set up, I've had my entire computer freeze and crash because of faulty graphic drivers.

Maybe you could try connecting the monitor to a friends computer (that support the ultrawide resolution) and see what happens.

Are you only using a single monitor first, and keep an eye on your GPU core speeds see when that flickering occurs does the core and mem speed drop down very low into the power save mode. It's a very common issue I've seen with AMD cards but mostly on dual or triple extended displays.

Try reinstalling drivers or updating of course to see if it's just a driver issue.

I have the latest versions of catalyst installed and i have tried doing fresh installs (uninstalling completely than reinstalling to no avail). As for core and mem clocks ill keep an eye out for those. Il also try only one monitor.

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

I have the latest versions of catalyst installed and i have tried doing fresh installs (uninstalling completely than reinstalling to no avail). As for core and mem clocks ill keep an eye out for those. Il also try only one monitor.

Just try with the ultra wide and see if that issue persists if it doesn't come back it's most likely the issue with the idle states going too low causing it to flicker.

I think you should try installing all the software for the monitor, but preferably download the installers from LG's website.

To me it sounds like a driver problem, did you recently update your graphics drivers?

Graphic drivers can cause a lot of weird things to happen if they aren't properly set up, I've had my entire computer freeze and crash because of faulty graphic drivers.

Maybe you could try connecting the monitor to a friends computer (that support the ultrawide resolution) and see what happens.

All driver are up to date and a far as i can tell there are none of the downloads on the lg page, so i will try installing from  the disk. I will also try reverting back to a older driver. Thanks alot, will report back to see if it works.

Just try with the ultra wide and see if that issue persists if it doesn't come back it's most likely the issue with the idle states going too low causing it to flicker.

Didn't seem to affect anything, installing all the shit on the disc, trying different drivers and as far as i can tell the clocks dont drop during the flicker ( according to gpu z if it even works that way).

Tried a bunch of different drivers, fresh installs etc. The only thing i have left to try is on a friends computer, thanks for your help.

Didn't seem to affect anything, installing all the shit on the disc, trying different drivers and as far as i can tell the clocks dont drop during the flicker ( according to gpu z if it even works that way).

Hmm, do you have another computer that you can test it on, if it still persisted then it would most likely be an issue with the display itself. GPU-Z would work just check on the sensors tab to give live readouts.

Tried a bunch of different drivers, fresh installs etc. The only thing i have left to try is on a friends computer, thanks for your help.

No problem, if there are still issues with the monitor when you use it on your friends computer, it's probably best to just return it and get it repaired or get a new one.

Maybe LG already knows what the problem is, but instead of explaining what needs to be repaired they'll just say "Yeah you need to send it in for servicing"

When I worked as a customer service representative I saw a few people send copy-paste solutions like that to our clients.

Hmm, do you have another computer that you can test it on, if it still persisted then it would most likely be an issue with the display itself. GPU-Z would work just check on the sensors tab to give live readouts.

Actually on second look the gpu core clock drops below 400 mhz while the flicker happens. (im retarted and didnt check sensors tab)

Actually on second look the gpu core clock drops below 400 mhz while the flicker happens. (im retarted and didnt check sensors tab)

Are you overclocking the card at all if you are try reverting everything to stock I know that used to fix this issue the majority of the time.

Are you overclocking the card at all if you are try reverting everything to stock I know that used to fix this issue the majority of the time.

No but my r9 290 comes stock at 1000 mhz (sapphire tri x)

No but my r9 290 comes stock at 1000 mhz (sapphire tri x)

I don't think that should be an issue with it coming overclocked from the factory, there is one other way of fixing it while using multiple displays which is having the eyefinity setup run constantly it should keep the core clocks up and not let it dip down to cause that flickering.

I don't think that should be an issue with it coming overclocked from the factory, there is one other way of fixing it while using multiple displays which is having the eyefinity setup run constantly it should keep the core clocks up and not let it dip down to cause that flickering.

If i set up an eyefinity group wont that mean it will use both monitors for games and stretch the picture between the two?

Yes that would stretch it over the two screens, if you wanted to game on single screen only way would be to disable a display to get rid of that flicker, it's a bit strange that putting the GPU on stock speeds would still cause it to flicker however that's the first time I've seen that happen.

@W-L i dont know how i i didnt notice this before but when the flicker happens it is actually samples from the bottom half of the screen (when playing mad max the mini map and area around it ops in).

Alright thanks 

@W-L i dont know how i i didnt notice this before but when the flicker happens it is actually samples from the bottom half of the screen (when playing mad max the mini map and area around it ops in).

Did it fix itself or what happened?

Did it fix itself or what happened?

Googled the same thing with different wording adn found its a problem with windows 10, back to 8.1 working awesomely. Hope microsoft fixes this soon, i really liked windows 10.

• 3 months later...

Googled the same thing with different wording adn found its a problem with windows 10, back to 8.1 working awesomely. Hope microsoft fixes this soon, i really liked windows 10.

Can I have a source on this? I'm currently having the same issue and am on W10