Windows 8 Permissions issue?

Laksen

Problem is solved

Hey guys,

I have got a problem with my windows 8 pro 64-bit. I recently reinstalled windows 8 and it worked as a charm, I wanted to copy some files from my windows 7 PC, but due to stupid windows 8 settings I could not access my local server from windows 8 so i took out my SSD and connected it to my windows 7, copied the files, and reconnected it to my windows 8 PC.

After this it booted 3 times slower than normal, and felt very sluggish, I cannot install any apps, and some of my programs (dropbox, spotify) doesn't want to start (I had these programs on my windows 7 PC as well) I wanted to access the files, but the files weren't there, so I checked if the files were hidden, they were not, so i checked the permissions and I could not change anything in here. Have anyone got the solution or should i "just" reinstall windows?

TL;DR

Switched SSD from win 8 to win7 for file transfer. Switched it back, permissions locked and sluggish/slow boot PC (30-60 seconds)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

bump

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

I have never heard of swapping drives causing performance issues. It's possible the SSD has a firmware issue or something for this to happen. I doubt it has anything to do with drive swapping, I have done that tons of times as well. Any update on the issue since it's been a while

I have read on the interwebs that it has something to do with, that windows 8 doesn't shut down 100 %, and saves some data in a kind of hibernate state file, hence the fast boot time, so if you would like to prevent this, if you are running virtual machines or swapping drives from 8 to 7 you can make the normal shut down short cut "shutdown -s -t 0" and the pc will shut down 100 %. I have my SSD fully updated, and I have tried this with another drive I had lying around, just for troubleshooting and can easily reproduce the error.

Yes, The all mighty "Windows 8 fast boot" feature is what people have known as hibernate for all these years, they just set it as default.. its not any new fancy optimisation.. its simply the old hibernate feature

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I just don't get it, even when you choose "shut down" in the alt+f4 menu it still doesn't shut down properly, damn you Steve Ballmer, seems as if everything he has touched will go to the grave...

Yes' date=' The all mighty "Windows 8 fast boot" feature is what people have known as hibernate for all these years, they just set it as default.. its not any new fancy optimisation.. its simply the old hibernate feature[/quote']

It's not though... Sorry...

Before Windows 8, with hibernation you simply saved the current state of the RAM to the HDD, saving the state of the user that is logged in, and all programs that are open. That is hibernation.

Fast boot is logging all users off, and then saving the state of the RAM to the HDD.

Before you say "Same thing hurr durr it uses hibernate" its not the same. There's considerably less things loaded into memory when no users are logged on, so in theory its just skipping the whole part where the system has to search the HDD for the files it needs to boot, and loads the files from a nice, neat, ordered hibernation file.

In other words, its kinda the same thing, except its not. It works very well.

OP, try a restart through charms menu. Restart bypasses the fastboot. I seriously doubt that is the problem (how could it?), however its worth ruling out.

To actually troubleshoot the issue, what I would do is "Refresh windows". Its a feature new to windows 8 that keeps your data files but removes all programs and resets the settings. Just type it into the settings search. If it's still acting stupid, and you want windows to run off the SSD (probably best idea), just reinstall windows 8 to that drive.

I just tested everyone's theory and it did not impact perforanmce for me at all. I think it is something else, but can't really reproduce the issue yet :p

I Have already tried all of that, it's not like herpderp my windows won't work - reinstall. I am able to reproduce the error, although I'm not willing to reinstall windows for the 4th time. Damn you Microsoft!!

• 2 weeks later...

You sure, you are not using an older SSD that's had problems with windows footprints and filled up faster then it should have?

What settings does your server use to allow clients to connect to it?

You sure you've gone over all your starting programs & removed any program that may not be compatible with windows 8.