Is there are standard for DPI setting vs screen size

orcinhell

Hi guys.

So quick question, all over the interwebs you see people fight in games like cs about DPI, what is the best setting? is there a best setting? I know what DPI is, and am pretty sure its a personal preference thing but wanted to ask.

Is there a rule of thumb? Like with viewing distance and screens, if your screen is "yay" big then put it so far back... is there anything like that for dpi i.e. at lower resolutions like 720p 400 DPI is optimal at 1080p 800 DPI is optimal. I have 1080P and have it set too 800, and find that suits me perfect. But after seeing another post (on another site) acting like DPI settings is super important that got me interested and I wanted to ask to see if there is any "rule of thumb" as everyone seems to have different opinions.

Well yes those are the 'pretty good' DPI but you can always fine-tune it to your personal taste. It's a matter of opinion on the best DPI that works for you but 800 for 1080p is just kinda the normal.

I just use whatever I'm comfortable with, personally in CS:GO I go for lower DPI as I want to be more accurate(use like 400DPI or so) , but in a game where you have to move quickly something like quake or bf4 to some extent I set my DPI higher as generally you have to be more mobile. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I have mine set to like 1600 or so normally, though can use the sniper button on my corsair m65 to drop it down to roughly 400. (1x 1080p 24" monitor and 1x 1050p 23" monitor)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I play with a low sensitivity, so generally I calculate it so that a single swip across my entire mousepad results in at least a 1/2 of a full circle turn. Generally I prefer somewhere around 2/3 of a full circle.

Mostly DPI is important for consistency. Ideally, whenever you get a new mouse/mousepad/monitor, you'll want to keep the resulting in-game sensitivity the same.

Naturally, if you're dealing with radically different types of games, you'll want multiple DPI settings. For example, some of the games are so old that they don't have 1920x1080 or anything close as a resolution option. Some games don't have a built-in sensitivity adjustment.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

I think DPI is really just personal preference. I'm not exactly sure what my number is set at, but nearly everyone who uses it says, "Jesus, why is this so sensitive."

/AMD FX-6350 o/c to 4.4/Sapphire r9 270x 2GB/2x8GB HyperX Fury red/MSI 970 Gaming/EVGA 500B/NZXT S340/Corsair H100i V2/HyperX Fury 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB/                                   

My mouse is on DPI 1400 with two 1080p monitors but then I have my windows sensitivity turned down so I don't actually know what the resulting DPI is.

Most of the basic MS, Dell, HP mice tend to be around the 800-1000 CPI range, if that's anything to go off of, but, to be honest, some people like the higher CPI for productivity. Me? I use 400 CPI at 1080p, if you're interested. Purely because I would play CSGO at that CPI and eventually just got used to using it within Windows.

Its all about personal prefference.

I personally distinguishing between people who like small mouse movements with a lot of screen travel and ones who prefer less screen travel and more mouse movement.

Then there are mix of all above.

I like it slow-medium speed so my max DPI is 1700. My CS in-game sensitivity has always been under 2.5 since CS 1.5

So it comes down to what you are used to and what surface or how well your mouse slides.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Mo, all personal preference you can do good and bad with both low and high DPI in any game/browsing the Web or whatever on any res

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M