What to put on my SSD

Simple, (not really) im haven't finished my PC but im going to get a 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. The problem is that apart from the OS i don't know what to put on it. Logically games but some of the newer games are huge in file size and from what I know I cant have some steam games on the hdd and others on the ssd. (can I?)

I also heard somewhere (over the rainbow) that I could put the games im playng on the ssd and then when I finish put them in the hdd but I don't know how I would do that if the steam files (steamapps) can't be on both.

Thanks.

Simple, (not really) im haven't finished my PC but im going to get a 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. The problem is that apart from the OS i don't know what to put on it. Logically games but some of the newer games are huge in file size and from what I know I cant have some steam games on the hdd and others on the ssd. (can I?)

I also heard somewhere (over the rainbow) that I could put the games im playng on the ssd and then when I finish put them in the hdd but I don't know how I would do that if the steam files (steamapps) could be on both.

Thanks.

You can have some games on the ssd and some on the hdd, just have to set different directories. It's one of the options that come up when installing a game.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

My SSD has the OS and it is full (120gb) so sive you have a extra 100+ gigabytes you should put your games on it too.

Edited by MG2R
DON'T make your text bigger than needed.

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

You can put some games in the SSD and some in the HDD.

Go to Preferences in Steam > Download > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder.

When you want to install your game you can now choose the installation folder.

Put your favorite games in the SSD (it loads faster), then the rest in the HDD.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Reccommend to also put your internet browser of choice, and anything you'll be using on a day to day basis on the SSD, before your games. 

The reason? Snappier launching of things you use every day, all the time. Things like skype/teamspeak/raidcall, Chrome/Firefox, any streaming software (if you're into that kinda thing), etc.

Really depends on your needs, but that's the type of things that I see most commonly being placed on SSDs.

I used to have my OS and the games I played at the time. So when I played WoW it would have that on the SSD. Then when i Stopped playing WoW I would move it to my HDD. That might not work for some games.

I also had my browser, drivers and the programs that needed to start up quickly, like Skype.

OK thanks so much guys. but what if I like a game but after a wile I stop playng it and I want to put it on the hdd? I just delete it and reintall it on the hdd?

It kind of suck because now with GTA V being 65gb and games like that... it isn't going to last.

OK thanks so much guys. but what if I like a game but after a wile I stop playng it and I want to put it on the hdd? I just delete it and reintall it on the hdd?

It kind of suck because now with GTA V being 65gb and games like that... it isn't going to last.

I install games to my hdd and copy them to my ssd when I play them very often. When I 'put down' a game, I update the copy on the hdd and delete it off of my ssd. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

by update I gI install games to my hdd and copy them to my ssd when I play them very often. When I 'put down' a game, I update the copy on the hdd and delete it off of my ssd. 

Ok well I gues im a noob on windows since I come from a mac but <I guess that by update you mean updates and the save files right?

Ok well I gues im a noob on windows since I come from a mac but <I guess that by update you mean updates and the save files right?

I meant to just copy the newer save files over the old ones. It's the same way one would work on projects with revisions. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I install Games i play on the SSD and when i´ve finished them i just delete them.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I have two SSDs now (third on the way BLACK FRIDAY !) but when i had only one 120gb i put on it League of Legends and CS:GO because these two games i play most frequently.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I meant to just copy the newer save files over the old ones. It's the same way one would work on projects with revisions. 

ohhh ok I get it

Just intall games you play recently or smaller games on your ssd

and move the larger games that you dont play atm to your hdd with steam tool.

Ahh... I feel so dumb but, steam tool?