Sony Xperia Z1 battery issues + Smart Connect app shenanigans

Ruostunut kokis

So my Xperia Z1 has quite poor battery life now, but that's to be expected from a 2 year-old phone, right? Now my questions here are:

Can the battery be changed by yourself? This phone does not have a removable back cover, but I have heard people talking about that it can be changed, but would require a new back cover and some glue to get it back together, plus it would sacrifice the water proofing, which really isn't much of a concern for me; as long as it's rainwater proof, it's fine.

And if it can be changed by oneself, what kind of tools would be necessary, where to get a spare battery (that could be trusted to work, not necessarily some cheap Chinese wonder) etc.? I have never taken apart a phone before, not one without a removable back cover anyway, and my handcraft skills are very limited due to lack of experience, so there could be a chance of me screwing something up.

And if that wouldn't be an option, is there any services that could do it instead? I have no plans on upgrading my phone, as this is enough for me, and I can't justify burning yet another 200€ on a phone this year (received the Xperia Z1 earlier this year, second-handed). Though if there are any services that could do the battery change, it should not have a credit card payment as the only payment option.

Now another thing I an wondering: has anyone else had problems with the Smart Connect app on Sony Xperia devices? For me, it occasionally stops working, and to fix it, I have to reboot the phone. Just simply forcing the app to stop and re-open it, or reinstalling it does not fix the issue, I have to reboot the entire device.

Now I would get rid of the quirky Smart Connect, but here's the thing: without it, the headphones I have plugged into the 3,5mm jack does not work, and thus if I for example decide to listen to music, it would simply blast it through the speakers instead. I have actually had this issue for pretty much as long as I have had the Xperia Z1.

So anyone have any idea how to fix the issue, or is it something that can't be fixed?

And before anyone asks, the phone does not have warranty, is running Android 5.0.3 5.0.2, is not rooted, and is not locked to any contract.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xperia+z1+change+battery

If it's something hard to do maybe getting someone to do it is not going to be cheap

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

So my Xperia Z1 has quite poor battery life now, but that's to be expected from a 2 year-old phone, right? Now my questions here are:

Can the battery be changed by yourself? This phone does not have a removable back cover, but I have heard people talking about that it can be changed, but would require a new back cover and some glue to get it back together, plus it would sacrifice the water proofing, which really isn't much of a concern for me; as long as it's rainwater proof, it's fine.

And if it can be changed by oneself, what kind of tools would be necessary, where to get a spare battery (that could be trusted to work, not necessarily some cheap Chinese wonder) etc.? I have never taken apart a phone before, not one without a removable back cover anyway, and my handcraft skills are very limited due to lack of experience, so there could be a chance of me screwing something up.

And if that wouldn't be an option, is there any services that could do it instead? I have no plans on upgrading my phone, as this is enough for me, and I can't justify burning yet another 200€ on a phone this year (received the Xperia Z1 earlier this year, second-handed). Though if there are any services that could do the battery change, it should not have a credit card payment as the only payment option.

Now another thing I an wondering: has anyone else had problems with the Smart Connect app on Sony Xperia devices? For me, it occasionally stops working, and to fix it, I have to reboot the phone. Just simply forcing the app to stop and re-open it, or reinstalling it does not fix the issue, I have to reboot the entire device.

Now I would get rid of the quirky Smart Connect, but here's the thing: without it, the headphones I have plugged into the 3,5mm jack does not work, and thus if I for example decide to listen to music, it would simply blast it through the speakers instead. I have actually had this issue for pretty much as long as I have had the Xperia Z1.

So anyone have any idea how to fix the issue, or is it something that can't be fixed?

And before anyone asks, the phone does not have warranty, is running Android 5.0.3, is not rooted, and is not locked to any contract.

I wouldn't recommend doing a battery replacement yourself unless you're very familiar with this type of work. Even if something is slightly off will cause problems in the future. And for me, quirks in the Sony ROMs is why ended up rooting my Xperia SP and going CM 11. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580