Dvorak Keyboard layout experience

SubTract

I just switched to a Dvorak keyboard layout. I have found that the layout has been quite easy to pick up. It is very frustrating having to look at the keyboard again. I do believe this keyboard layout with some more practice would be much more efficient then the QWERTY layout that i'm used to.

Does anybody here use the Dvorak keyboard layout?

If so when did you change and how difficult did you find it to change? (If you didn't learn it to begin with)

If not have you ever considered trying Dvorak?

For those of you who don't what Dvork is here is a comparison picture:

DVORAK.gif

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3100[/ATTACH]

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I've always wanted to make the switch but then using another computer would feel so foreign and infuriating.

I've always wanted to make the switch but then using another computer would feel so foreign and infuriating.

just like when I got my japanese bidet toilet. the thought of dropping a deuce at another toilet is just gross

I'm finding that as long as i keep using OWERTY at work I'm seemingly able to be able to use both. I don't want to lose my ability to touch type on OWERTY. I do love your your comparison though. :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I tried switching a couple of months ago, but ended up reverting back. I found it reasonably easy to learn the key positions and such, but bringing up the speeds just seemed like too much of a hassle to me, given I naturally was able to type far more comfortably and faster with qwerty. I might give it a try again, but it's difficult to leave something that I'm so familiar with.

Probably can switch with enough practice, but I just haven't bothered really.

I tried switching a couple of months ago, but ended up reverting back. I found it reasonably easy to learn the key positions and such, but bringing up the speeds just seemed like too much of a hassle to me, given I naturally was able to type far more comfortably and faster with qwerty. I might give it a try again, but it's difficult to leave something that I'm so familiar with.

Probably can switch with enough practice, but I just haven't bothered really.

These are the problems I'm having. Its very frustrating. I'm going to try and stick with it and see if i can get used it. It might not be my thing but I'm up for the challenge :)

Spoiler

I'm not sure I'd be able to switch to that. The WASD keys are way to spread out for me.
This is a very valid point. I however have a solution. I put a Pic up. I just use the windows key + Space to switch between QWERTY for gaming, and Dvorak for typing.

Spoiler

I switched for a while and it was great, much easier to find the keys and could type faster, sure a short learning curve. Why didn't I stick to it? Well its fine if you only use one computer but when you end up having to deal with a ton of computers which are mapped the regular way it beats your brain mapping down :( I think if the world changed it would not take long for everyone to catch up, well at least people who know how to type and don't have brains that are stuck in one way of doing things.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

• 3 months later...

I switched to DVORAK last spring and it has relieved any fatigue that I used to get after programming for extended periods of time.

I tried DVORAK Left handed Simplified but in the end due to constantly having to use multiple computers in my job including laptops it wasn't worthwhile to make the switch. maybe one day when i can set it for everything, till then it's my phone layout as to learn the setup for the future.

400px-KB_Dvorak_Left.svg.png

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."