Best value GPU

ScaryFatKidGT

I guess you guys are right about the 390 not only being better than the 290 but better than the 290x, I guess I miss understood some of the reviews, I don't get how a little clock increase and a little vram speed makes that big of difference(Luke really undersells the 390x)? However the AMD cards still trade way to many blows with the 970 for me to wrap my head around, even slotting between the 2 390's tested sometimes. Are these OCed or stock numbers for the tested GPU's?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/14.html

A stock 390 beats a stock 290x and the 390 also ocs better I believe. theres a few benchmarks on the Internet.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

390 if you ask me.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

390 Is a beast card for the price.

AMD had also been planning ahead of nvidia for so much longer, with their GPUs favoring parallel processing over serial (like nvidia).

Basically, AMD GPUs are a whole lot better at the DX12 game than Nvidia.

R9-390 hands down.

390. Longevity, upgrade PSU btw like everyone said!!

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

I guess you guys are right about the 390 not only being better than the 290 but better than the 290x, I guess I miss understood some of the reviews, I don't get how a little clock increase and a little vram speed makes that big of difference(Luke really undersells the 390x)? However the AMD cards still trade way to many blows with the 970 for me to wrap my head around, even slotting between the 2 390's tested sometimes. Are these OCed or stock numbers for the tested GPU's?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/14.html

Here how the R9 390 is better than the 290X:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-390-390x-not-rebadges-power-optimization/

1) Manufacturing process optimizations allowing AMD to increase the

engine clock by 50MHz on both 390 and 390X while maintaining the same power envelope

2) New high density memory devices allow the memory interface to be re-tuned for faster performance and more bandwidth

· Memory clock increased from 1250MHz to 1500MHz on both 390 and 390X

· Memory bandwidth increased from 320GB/s to 384GB/s

· 8GB frame buffer is standard on ALL cards, not just the OC versions

3) Complete re-write of the GPUs power management micro-architecture

· Under “worse case” power virus applications, the 390 and 390X have a similar power envelope to 290X

· Under “typical” gaming loads, power is expected to be lower than 290X while performance is increased”

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-390-390x-not-rebadges-power-optimization/#ixzz3l979CSCg

In lamens terms, Global foundries got better at manufacturing them, they now run better than ever.

The GTX970 is also a very good choice though...more modern, better features, more energy efficient, pretty much as fast but would like to see more VRAM onboard.

If you plan on buying a new monitor soon make sure you check Freesync vs Gsync monitors the prices for Gsync monitors is MUCH higher if that something you're interested into, you could save money there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

engine clock by 50MHz on both 390 and 390X while maintaining the same power envelope

2) New high density memory devices allow the memory interface to be re-tuned for faster performance and more bandwidth

· Under “worse case” power virus applications, the 390 and 390X have a similar power envelope to 290X

· Under “typical” gaming loads, power is expected to be lower than 290X while performance is increased”

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-390-390x-not-rebadges-power-optimization/#ixzz3l979CSCg

In lamens terms, Global foundries got better at manufacturing them, they now run better than ever.

The GTX970 is also a very good choice though...more modern, better features, more energy efficient, pretty much as fast but would like to see more VRAM onboard.

If you plan on buying a new monitor soon make sure you check Freesync vs Gsync monitors the prices for Gsync monitors is MUCH higher if that something you're interested into, you could save money there.

the problem is, although the 970 is a 4gb card, the last 0.5 limits it, so nothing would stop nvidia from making a gimped 8gb version, it would probably end up being 7gb of fast and 1gb of slow.

im pissed with nvidia for doing this but i either wanted to go sli or cf, and at the moment my 650 watts isnt enough for cf 390, it is enough for sli 970s though and im not willing to spend more on a psu.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

390. Longevity, upgrade PSU btw like everyone said!!

Just something better than the CX series or do I need more watts?

the problem is, although the 970 is a 4gb card, the last 0.5 limits it, so nothing would stop nvidia from making a gimped 8gb version, it would probably end up being 7gb of fast and 1gb of slow.

im pissed with nvidia for doing this but i either wanted to go sli or cf, and at the moment my 650 watts isnt enough for cf 390, it is enough for sli 970s though and im not willing to spend more on a psu.

Yeah the 970 is weird, I really want a 980 Ti HOF to go with my white build but I don't think that will happen, I could go with a 980 but the Ti is so much better....... R9 390 is definitely the sweet spot. Tom's I think it was had there 390X pull 200! more watts from the wall than there 980....

So 970 is a good deal at $340ish but the R9 390 is better for $320ish BUT R9 290's are only around $250 and R9 290x's are $300 - $320ish soooooooo

The 970 performs about the same as the 390 in most games. I normally wouldn't recommend buying based on features like PhysX and Shadowplay, but at only $20 difference that might be enough to push the 970 over the finish line if you care about that stuff.

All of the cards being discussed have 4 GB of VRAM, including the GTX 970. You can even use all 4 GB and in most cases it will not be problem, due to the way the driver manages memory. I've never even seen evidence that two 970's in SLI can be VRAM-starved at 4K.

http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

The 970 performs about the same as the 390X in most games. I normally wouldn't recommend buying based on features like PhysX and Shadowplay, but at only $20 difference that might be enough to push the 970 over the finish line if you care about that stuff.

All of the cards being discussed have 4 GB of VRAM, including the GTX 970. You can even use all 4 GB and in most cases it will not be problem, due to the way the driver manages memory. I've never even seen evidence that two 970's in SLI can be VRAM-starved at 4K.

I hope you mean the 390 and if you use nvidia features then yes the 970 is a better deal but if you don't then the 390 will trade blows with the 970 and edge ahead in 1440p.

The 970 performs about the same as the 390 in most games. I normally wouldn't recommend buying based on features like PhysX and Shadowplay, but at only $20 difference that might be enough to push the 970 over the finish line if you care about that stuff.

I hope you mean the 390 and if you use nvidia features then yes the 970 is a better deal but if you don't then the 390 will trade blows with the 970 and edge ahead in 1440p.

I wont be using the remoteplay tablet shit

Is PhysX a big thing? What happened when playing PhysX enabled games on an AMD card? I did want G-Sync but by the time I buy a monitor I'll probably just get a new car in a year or 2.

Is PhysX a big thing? What happened when playing PhysX enabled games on an AMD card? I did want G-Sync but by the time I buy a monitor I'll probably just get a new car in a year or 2.

PhysX is usually a gimmick, to be honest. In many games it can be difficult to notice it in action. PhysX water effects—one of the things that are easier to notice—look more like glue, in my opinion. As I said, I normally wouldn't mention it as a selling point, but with only $20 difference maybe it's something you're interested in.

Trying to use PhysX with an AMD card would mean those physics calculations are being done by your CPU. The performance hit would be greater. I don't know how bad. Note that just having a Nvidia card doesn't make PhysX a "freebie" effect, it's still very demanding in most games.

PhysX is usually a gimmick, to be honest. In many games it can be difficult to notice it in action. PhysX water effects—one of the things that are easier to notice—look more like glue, in my opinion. As I said, I normally wouldn't mention it as a selling point, but with only $20 difference maybe it's something you're interested in.

Trying to use PhysX with an AMD card would mean those physics calculations are being done by your CPU. The performance hit would be greater. I don't know how bad. Note that just having a Nvidia card doesn't make PhysX a "freebie" effect, it's still very demanding in most games.

So its an option you can turn on/off like AA or advanced lighting affects and such? It's not like in game stuffs going to move differently without it.

So its an option you can turn on/off like AA or advanced lighting affects and such? It's not like in game stuffs going to move differently without it.

Typically it appears in either the graphics settings or game settings menus. Sometimes things do move differently without PhysX enabled, but games with PhysX effects are always designed to function perfectly fine without them. The game will look a bit different with PhysX off or on, though you won't always notice that it's missing.

There's some side-by-side examples in the following video, just bear in mind Borderlands 2 is kind of a PhysX show piece, and PhysX isn't as obvious in most games as it is in this one. Also, it's a Nvidia video, so they're trying to advertise to you.