Is 2500k + gtx 680 really out of date and needs an upgrade?

Chenwei95
Go to solution Solved by Chasem121,

I'd wait for the next generation of CPU's and GPU's before bothering to upgrade, you'd be committing to the last generation of GDDR5 GPU's when HBM2 GPU's are going to be coming out.

As well as the fact that the 2500k is still a really kickass processor.

I built this system about 4 years ago(only upgraded gpu from hd 6970 to gtx 680), current spec is i5 2500k at 4.5ghz, gtx 680 slightly overclocked with afterburner, 16gb 1600mhz cl9 ram; I don't play much games beside CS GO and starcraft, probably albion online and some other mmos once they release.

My original plan was replace my current system with skylake i5, gtx 970, but they are both waaayyyy slower than what I was expecting, what kind of different would I expect to see? 5~10% more fps? would it be better to only upgrade my gpu(but probably get 2 instead of 1), since cpu has only improved like 10% since sandy bridge...

nope you are perfectly fine iirc the 580 performs about the same as the 960 and the 2500k is a perfectly capable cpu able to last at least another 3 years

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'd wait for the next generation of CPU's and GPU's before bothering to upgrade, you'd be committing to the last generation of GDDR5 GPU's when HBM2 GPU's are going to be coming out.

As well as the fact that the 2500k is still a really kickass processor.

I wouldn't say that you need an upgrade based on the games you're playing.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

You basiiically have what I have and it still runs pretty much everything well (that I play)

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

An i5 2500K is still a great quad core CPU for gaming especially when overclocked and the GTX 770 was a rebadged and overclocked GTX 680 which still games great at 1080P for the most part so it's only really worth upgrading if you're not quite getting enough performance or if your gaming at a high resolution but even then it would only be worth upgrading your GPU. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Its not its a absolute necessity that you upgrade but if you have the money upgrades never hurt.

Well it depend on what you play and how you play it. The 580 is about as good as a 960 and my r9 280 performance very similarly to both of those cards and i find that i am not getting the performance i want on my 2560x1080 monitor. But for those games i think it should be fine, but at the end of the day it is entirely up to you whether you think it is necessary to upgrade. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

thanks folks! i think i will hold on to it for 1 more year, if hbm2 sucks ass like the rest of "new" cpus, it will never hurt to get 2 970s or 980s~

• 3 months later...

don,t ever upgrade, please the i7 2500k is a monster, the 680 is a fucking beast and you're the only guy i know with a 2500k and a 680. please use them until they die.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!