Will the ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ boot without a graphics card?

I want to make a headless Mini-ITX server for a NAS, pfsense, a few webservers and maybe a game server, (all virtualised) but I'm going to need to use its only PCIE slot (for a NIC) and I don't really want to get an APU (but I will if it's the only option left) because I would need to spend more money to get the same amount of horsepower compared to a normal CPU. So I'll just remote into it when I need to do anything with it and use a graphics card for the setup only.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

If you have something with integrated graphics it looks like you can just plug your monitor straight into the motherboard.  If that's what you're asking.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

If you have something with integrated graphics it looks like you can just plug your monitor straight into the motherboard.  If that's what you're asking.

You need an APU if you're trying to plug directly to the motherboard.

I don't want to plug any video into it, I want to run it headlessly (i.e: Access everything through SSH or VNC), but I want to know if the motherboard will boot without output (some motherboards don't)

MoBo won't boot without a gpu (either intergrated or discrete).

i74790k@4.8GHz - Cooler Master Nepton 280L - Asrock Z97 Extreme4 - 2x4GB GSkill TridentX@2600/CL10 - r9 290x/2xGTX980's/HD 7970/r9 280x - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1000W - Crucial M4 250GB/MX 100 250GB/Caviar Black 1TB - Phantek Enthoo Luxe

I don't want to plug any video into it, I want to run it headlessly (i.e: Access everything through SSH or VNC), but I want to know if the motherboard will boot without output (some motherboards don't)

<SNIP>

Knight Rider - Build Log - NZXTS340 / i7-4790k / R9 390 / Modded Noctuas / AIO Watercooler - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421049-updated-knight-rider-nzxt-s340-amd-buiildnow-intel-with-modded-noctuas/

The board has onboard graphics, so yes it will boot regardless of outputting video.  From what I gather, you want to use it remotely from a different PC without having it hooked upto a screen. Which yes, it will do.

No it doesn't, on FM2(+) the graphics are on the chip (hence 'APU') instead of part of the chipset (it doesn't have a northbridge on the board anymore).

@faissaloo I had an ASRock A85X Extreme4-M that would not POST if no graphics device (APU or otherwise) was detected; so I expect it might be the same here.

No it doesn't, on FM2(+) the graphics are on the chip (hence 'APU') instead of part of the chipset (it doesn't have a northbridge on the board anymore).

@faissaloo I had an ASRock A85X Extreme4-M that would not POST if no graphics device (APU or otherwise) was detected; so I expect it might be the same here.

Ok thanks, look like I'll just be going with an A8 3.1Ghz quad core instead of a Athlon 3.8Ghz Quad Core :/

Ok thanks, look like I'll just be going with an A8 3.1Ghz quad core instead of a Athlon 3.8Ghz Quad Core :/

You could grab FS1b (AM1 platform) if it doesn't need to be massively powerful.

You could grab FS1b (AM1 platform) if it doesn't need to be massively powerful.

I've looked at AM1 stuff before, and I haven't found anything that will be powerful enough to run all my stuff (especially since they'll be virtualised) and I want to have room to add more projects