Help understanding a breadboard circuit(can i omit it from this design)

Below is a design i found for a circuit that, with an attiny85, turns on and off a light switch when you clap.  I want to omit the breadboard, because it is bulky and seems unnecessary, but then again i don't know what a breadboard does.  Based off my previous knowledge I can figure out that each hole is connected to the other in the same row or column, so you can create circuits, but have to be careful not to cross wires accidentally.   Looking at the circuit below, is there any way to just make the connections and omit the breadboard, if so please explain.  Also, the attiny85 is a replacement for an arduino, is there a way to put code on the attiny, or will it just take in electrical input.

Thanks

post-119027-0-14522900-1440519384.jpg

post-119027-0-14522900-1440519384.jpg

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

I've always used breadboards with raspberry pi projects. They do allow you to share voltages over components so you only need 1 connector on the 3.3/5v pin on the pi and 1 to the ground pin. They're also easy to maintain and make everything clean. Resistors can easily be put between them, or digital to analog convertors, sensors, motors, ...

as said above, the external columns are connected in a single row (like for power sources). That is why the two long ones span the entire board, they are connecting the two power rails.

The internal ones are connected in rows separated by the median. This makes using IC's easy because they can straddle the median.

~Judah

That was really helpful in understanding what it does actually, so thank you,

but does anybody know of a way to omit it from the design?

That was really helpful in understanding what it does actually, so thank you,

but does anybody know of a way to omit it from the design?

You basically connect all the components with wires by soldering them together. It would be something like this:

C5Yk42t.jpg

Please correct me if i made any mistakes, I'm not an electrician ;)  Please don't mind my unprofessional drawing using the wrong symbols.

paint ftw
GNnjW6H.png

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

paint ftw

GNnjW6H.png

two things, one, would i need a battery?  to my understanding, it would receive power from the voltage in, but idk.  Second off, the electret microphone i got only has 2 pins, i think they are audio and grnd, what should i do about that?

two things, one, would i need a battery?  to my understanding, it would receive power from the voltage in, but idk.  Second off, the electret microphone i got only has 2 pins, i think they are audio and grnd, what should i do about that?

Yeah you would need some kind of power input.

The box on the green is a relay, that allows logic level voltages to control much higher voltages that you would find in a light switch from the wall or the roof or whatever. It does not provide power for your circuit.

So you need some kind of external power. I suggest using a wall adapter that will convert 110/240v AC to 9v DC and then use stuff to reduce the voltage further, or just use batteries.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

The box on the green is a relay, that allows logic level voltages to control much higher voltages that you would find in a light switch from the wall or the roof or whatever. It does not provide power for your circuit.

So you need some kind of external power. I suggest using a wall adapter that will convert 110/240v AC to 9v DC and then use stuff to reduce the voltage further, or just use batteries.

what voltage battery should i get

and also, what should i do regarding the mic

what voltage battery should i get

and also, what should i do regarding the mic

You should use a 9v battery, with a 5v voltage regulator. The ATTiny85 needs exact 5v to operate I believe. Also you would need to check the inputs/output on the ATTiny85 to determine the correct polarity and the correct input, according to the datasheet. Remember to also program the unit before you set it up.

For the mic; you will need to devise a program that will take the signal from the mic and process it via code into something that can trigger the toggle on the output pin. Once you have that the system will work. I think any mic will do, but make sure you find out the voltages of the mic so you don't damage it.

Spoiler

You should use a 9v battery, with a 5v voltage regulator. The ATTiny85 needs exact 5v to operate I believe. Also you would need to check the inputs/output on the ATTiny85 to determine the correct polarity and the correct input, according to the datasheet. Remember to also program the unit before you set it up.

For the mic; you will need to devise a program that will take the signal from the mic and process it via code into something that can trigger the toggle on the output pin. Once you have that the system will work. I think any mic will do, but make sure you find out the voltages of the mic so you don't damage it.

do you think you could break it out into steps.  For the mic exactley, what od i do with the two pins, and for the attiny battery, couldnt i just use a 5v battery?

do you think you could break it out into steps.  For the mic exactley, what od i do with the two pins, and for the attiny battery, couldnt i just use a 5v battery?

You could just use a 5v battery, but remember the voltage will drop as the battery loses power, and the ATTiny won't work properly. The benefit of a 5v regulator and a 9v battery is that the output of the reg will stay at 5v, even if the 9v battery drops voltage.

With the mic, one of the pins goes to power (I'm not sure if it's ground or vcc), the other goes into an input on the ATTiny. The ATTiny then uses the output of the mic as an input pin. Apparently it's not that simple. This diagram should explain the kind of circuit that you would need to create. 1YfUi.jpg

Spoiler

You could just use a 5v battery, but remember the voltage will drop as the battery loses power, and the ATTiny won't work properly. The benefit of a 5v regulator and a 9v battery is that the output of the reg will stay at 5v, even if the 9v battery drops voltage.

With the mic, one of the pins goes to power (I'm not sure if it's ground or vcc), the other goes into an input on the ATTiny. The ATTiny then uses the output of the mic as an input pin.

ok thanks

With the mic, one of the pins goes to power (I'm not sure if it's ground or vcc), the other goes into an input on the ATTiny. The ATTiny then uses the output of the mic as an input pin. Apparently it's not that simple. This diagram should explain the kind of circuit that you would need to create. 1YfUi.jpg

Would this work?

post-119027-0-84892900-1440529110.jpg

post-119027-0-84892900-1440529110.jpg

Would this work?

I think so, only one way to find out :-)

Spoiler

I think so, only one way to find out :-)

cool, thanks for all your help