DDR3 1.5v compatible Z170 boards (pref. SFF)

Go to solution Solved by Bob Jim,

Yes z170 can support ddr3, I just doubt there are any boards that support it currently, try giving it a few weeks/months.

Z170 is DDR4 in consumer grade boards

No DDR3, not for while at least if they do

why is it strange??

DDR3 and DDR4 have different memory slots anyway, so they're not interchangeable

Wrong and wrong. ASUS Micro ATX 4 DIMM Slot DDR3 Motherboard:

https://www.asus.com/motherboards/z170m-e-d3/

@Horse_in_Pita_Bread

Hello,

I have 4x8gb=32gb of 1866mhz 1.5V CL 9 DDR3 RAM in my z87 system.

I would like my new system to be a SFF (will have to be micro-ATX to utilise 4 DIMM otherwise I would have gone for mini-ITX) z170 skylake system, and I would like to use the RAM I already have.

Can someone recommend a z170 board that is verifired to work with them?

When I asked ASUS tech support, they lazily refered me to their official QVL, and said none of their new boards supports DDR3, which sounds a bit strange, because in theory z170 should work with DDR3 or the very least DDR3L.

Can someone confirm their z170 board works with DDR3 1.5v?

In case I buy a new board and test it, can I cause any damage to the any of the components, or will it just not post?

The board and CPU will still have warranty, but the other components clearly won't.

Thanks in advance.

Yes z170 can support ddr3, I just doubt there are any boards that support it currently, try giving it a few weeks/months.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hello,

I have 4x8gb=32gb of 1866mhz 1.5V CL 9 DDR3 RAM in my z87 system.

I would like my new system to be a SFF (will have to be micro-ATX to utilise 4 DIMM otherwise I would have gone for mini-ITX) z170 skylake system, and I would like to use the RAM I already have.

Can someone recommend a z170 board that is verifired to work with them?

When I asked ASUS tech support, they lazily refered me to their official QVL, and said none of their new boards supports DDR3, which sounds a bit strange, because in theory z170 should work with DDR3 or the very least DDR3L.

Can someone confirm their z170 board works with DDR3 1.5v?

In case I buy a new board and test it, can I cause any damage to the any of the components, or will it just not post?

The board and CPU will still have warranty, but the other components clearly won't.

Thanks in advance.

why is it strange??

DDR3 and DDR4 have different memory slots anyway, so they're not interchangeable

Looking for a job

why is it strange??

@Horse_in_Pita_Bread

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

@Horse_in_Pita_Bread

I'm not wrong, I didn't say that there were no boards that support it, I just said that I doubt there were any.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@Bob Jim

Many thanks!

Will wait to see if there are more options, then mark as solved, looks like a solid motherboard.

Just went through all 4 motherboard manufacturers websites, these are the other DDR3 boards I found:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Pro4D3/?cat=Specifications (ATX not Micro ATX)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5488#ov (ATX not Micro ATX)

MSI do not do one with DDR3, and ASUS is the only one with a Micro ATX variant.

I'm not wrong, I didn't say that there were no boards that support it, I just said that I doubt there were any.

49158059.jpg