Wait for Pascal?

Zvesda

I have a I5-3570K and 16 gigs of ram with a GTX 680 2 gig. 

I am looking to upgrade, I have been looking at pascal and that it will need this 'NV LINK' im wondering if i should grab a 970-980 in the next 4-5 months or wait for Pascal and make a whole new PC because my motherboard will be obsolete 

Hell, Id just keep your current PC till something new comes, you will still get better performance from upgrading now as well, but surely that rig could hold you over a bit longer ;)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You can hold with your rig for some more time without upgrading

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

depends if you want to upgrade now or if you have the patience to wait although don't expect pascal in 4-5 months. Sure it might be released by that time but the high end cards (which is what you're looking for I'm guessing) will most likely only be released by the end of 2016 and that's with a lot of optimism

NVLink is mainly for servers. NVLink probably won't come to consumer motherboards. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The next series of NVidia GPU's is supposed to be pretty badass so I'd hold off :P The 680 should last you a little while longer :)

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

mofo your 680 can still run most games on ultra, don't see what you're complaining about, I get about the same perf as you (I have a Radeon 7970) and I wouldn't consider upgrading until I see a cheap budget card that outperforms my current card

Depends what you want your pc to be able to do, you certainly don't *need* to upgrade. Having said that, next generation's die shrink might bring better price/performance offerings.

The 680 can run most my games on Ultra yeah but i have 3 monitors, and with only 2 gigs of memory, it really pushes it and it gets hot as fuck, like 80 celcius man

At least i got this PC from a friend, i built the one for him, he gave me this one i built him in exchange for me building him a new one. My PC before receiving his had a Radeon 6450 and 4gigs of ram. Had to play BF3 at 800x600 

I'm usually the first to recommend upgrading instead of waiting, but as most have stated, what you got is still completely viable.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

The 680 can run most my games on Ultra yeah but i have 3 monitors, and with only 2 gigs of memory, it really pushes it and it gets hot as fuck, like 80 celcius man

80 isn't really an abnormal temperature, though that's the temperature at which it will usually cap and then start throttling down to maintain it. If you at the balancing point where you're hitting 80*C but not throttling much in your games, you're fine. My well-cooled GTX 770 (read: same chip) still gets into the mid-70's most of the time in games that are remotely demanding.

Pascal would be way too long to wait if it were for me. The best time to buy or get upgrades are on holidays anyway. Get yourself a fully new system this Christmas season with mediocre gpu, and then resell that gpu when pascal comes.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero