Revamping Data Solution for Photographer/Videographer

Dw136

So I got some advice yesterday from you wonderful folks about hard drives and I've pretty much decided I'm going to try to revamp my entire data management. 

So far this is what I've come up with. I'm more of a photo guy and not a really heavy tech guy so could I have you guys look this over?

So I edit on two different computes a desktop for long sessions and a laptop for quick / location edits. For my laptop it has a single Samsung 850 Evo 250 SSD and I'm thinking if I shoot redundant cards (So photos and videos on to one SD card and one CF card at the same time), back it up on location to my laptop then back that up to a portable 1TB WD Passport drive. I wont erase SD or CF cards until I'm either done the edit or I can get it into my desktop.  

For my desktop I have one Samsung 850 EVO 500GB that's serving as a boot and scratch disk. I'm planning to get two WD RED 1TB drives and throw them into a RAID 1 inside the machine. My plan is to copy raw photos and video to the RAID and then copy those raw files to the SSD. Edit the raw images/video on the SSD and don't touch the RAID array during the edit. Editied raw images/videos and exported Jpegs / final cuts will be transferred to a NAS (description later) and edited Jpegs / final cuts also sent to the cloud. After that I can erase the set off the SSD and RAID. 

I'm thinking NAS would be Synology 2 Bay NAS with two WD RED 4TB drives in RAID 1. And I'll bring a WD Green 4TB drive in an enclosure to back up monthly(ish) - depends how buys I am - to take off site and store at  a different location. Once this fills up I'll probably be archiving the the RED drives by putting them into a fire-proof safe in a dark cool corner of the basement.   

So how does this workflow look to you guys? Anything I should improve or is overkill? I'm expecting this data set up to last me 2-5 years.   

I don't know how much files you have but have you considered cloud storage? Appart from that it seems like a good plan. When choosing your nas these benchmarks can help you out :) http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5108/17/27-2-bay-nas-devices-tested-performance---1-disk-nas-performance-tester

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I don't know how much files you have but have you considered cloud storage? Appart from that it seems like a good plan.

Internet connections aren't really great here so I don't want to be up/downloading gigs of data at a time. I have exported Jpegs and final cut videos going to the cloud.

~snip~

Hey there Dw136,

Your plan seems pretty good and should provide you with very good safety for your data. WD Red drives are great for such usage and should serve you well. 
For the NAS, if you don't plan on anything other than transferring files for backups and don't need additional features, I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud Mirror. It's a good NAS for this purpose, pre-configured in RAID1 Mirror mode, and it comes with WD Red drives. :) Here's a link with more info on this: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=qtA8YB

If you happen to have questions or if there's anything else that I can help you with, feel free to ask :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/