unable to install photoshop lightroom 4

Tesseract83233

hi guys! :)

i got a strange problem.

i'm trying to install photoshop lightroom 4 on a buddys Windows 7 x64 machine.

first of all - the setup files are ok, they worked on another machine i tried it on and i copied them 3 to make sure they're not corrupted.

so, the problem is that lightroom_4_setup.exe is starting and extracting the setup files to the desktop, which works fine. after this, setup64.exe (InstallShield) launches and is extracting the files for the "real" setup.

the last file it is trying to extract is the .msi file, where it gets stuck for a few seconds, and then an error comes up:

"The setup couldn't be opened. please make sure the package exists and you have access to it. make sure it's a valid windows installer package" (translated from german ;) )

then the setup stops and nothing happens... :/

one thing that (imho) could be related to the error is, that my buddy chose a user name with a special character (guido's), which already caused some other problems on his machine since the file path often contains his user name.

could anyone confirm that this is real cause?

other things i've already tried are:

- windows update

- checking if msiexec/windows installer is running properly

- some microsoft FixIt

- un- registering msiexec

- running the setup as admin

- tring the 32 bit setup

- choosing a different location for the setup (which, it think, won't help since you can't set the extraction location of installshield)

would be great if anyone has an idea on how to fix this

thanks in advance! ;)

Well if the special character is the one to blame, then try making the setup extract the files to something like c:\temp because the desktop will have the special character in the file path.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

just to make it clear:

i first extract the lightroom_4_setup.exe, which automatically launches the setup64.exe afterwards.

extracting the lightroom_4_setup.exe to the desktop works just as fine as extracting it to a different location. it doesn't make any difference.

but as soon as the setup64.exe is launched, it automatically extracts the msi-file to a unknown destination.

as soon as the msi-file is supposed to launch, i get the error message.

but i can't find or move the msi from where it's supposed to be launched....

a special character like the  in the msi's file path could, as i already said, cause problems with the install shield, but i don't really know...

the only way to get rid of the  '  is afaik a fresh, clean install of windows, but that's the last thing i want to take into consideration.