How reliable are M.2 drives?

Inception9269

At the moment I have a simple A-data 128gb ssd, which works just fine for me, but at the same time I want something with much more space on it. Also decided to go with m.2 since my motherboard has a slot as well as m.2 being faster.

One thing I do want to know, how reliable are m.2 drives in comparison to standard 2.5 inch drives? This is the m.2 one I'd get, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzn5e500bw

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

It's Samsung. It's probably gonna be really reliable.

at the end of the day, the drive is as reliable as the flash chip, no matter what the interface.

True i guess. I'm just used to 2.5 drives which look more clean and reliable, compared to seeing a bare stick. I know a m.2 is similar to how a 2.5 would look without the casing, but the lack of casing kind of just makes things look not as reliable

At the moment I have a simple A-data 128gb ssd, which works just fine for me, but at the same time I want something with much more space on it. Also decided to go with m.2 since my motherboard has a slot as well as m.2 being faster.

One thing I do want to know, how reliable are m.2 drives in comparison to standard 2.5 inch drives? This is the m.2 one I'd get, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzn5e500bw

haven't herd any complaints but i don't think many people got them. This looks like a sweet deal. Make sure it fits, read the reviews, this is 80mm? I thought there was only one size.

haven't herd any complaints but i don't think many people got them. This looks like a sweet deal. Make sure it fits, read the reviews, this is 80mm? I thought there was only one size.

I believe it should fit. I have an MSI z97 gaming 7 motherboard, and online it shows it fits.

Another slight issue I've kind of had is for awhile now my second hdd would disconnect for a couple seconds every other day, like the windows sound would come up and then it would reconnect.

I believe it should fit. I have an MSI z97 gaming 7 motherboard, and online it shows it fits.

Another slight issue I've kind of had is for awhile now my second hdd would disconnect for a couple seconds every other day, like the windows sound would come up and then it would reconnect.

check disk for errors

check disk for errors

What's a good program for that? I used to have one but I did a clean install of my OS some time ago with win 10 and lost it

What's a good program for that? I used to have one but I did a clean install of my OS some time ago with win 10 and lost it

click the driver, click properties,  then tools, then check for errors. 

m.2's reliable but really expensive (from my viewpoint)

The real sentiment do conclude this profiling of our generation is, I cannot believe it is not butter!

Hey there Inception9269,

M.2 drives are believed to be more reliable than regular HDDs simply because they have no moving parts, bus so do SSDs. As the guys explained, it all depends on the quality of the materials that were used to build the drive. I would look for some reviews and comments on the specific drive that you are looking at and see if the general opinion is good or bad. After all, storage drives are mechanical or electrical units and failure do happen for one reason or another. I would say get such a drive if you can benefit from it in any way and just keep a backup of everything important on a separate drive, preferably outside of the whole build. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/