i want to make a youtube like website

Go to solution Solved by Arty,

so VPS won't work

30Gps is too much

ok ._.

the AVG 1080p video stream is 12mbps * 25k people

imaging if you peaked one day. RIP 

you would basically ddos yourself

If you wanted to make an infrastructure for sharing videos, then P2P would DEFINITELY be your best choice.

/\ 

This would be the Best thing.

2 months later you hear knocking on your door.

Men in black suits. 

i want to make a video website

for a small community *max of 200k* *avg of 25k maybe more*

what servers do i need

can i rent them until i get enough money to buy highend servers

the bandwidth

the programming

thanks in advance

It would help a lot if you gave us more informations, mainly what the heck do you need this for.

I assume you are in need of a way to share privately videos within a certain community, otherwise I cannot really see a reason why you wouldn't just use YouTube.

Personally I have my reasons to keep people from doing something like that.

Some years ago I had this idea of "going against YouTube" because I was tired of copyright strikes and for some reason I believed that hiding my videos on some crappy server would let me using whatever music track I wanted, and I was kind of right.

I signed up for an hosting on GoDaddy, uploading times were a nightmare, and I had to manually re encode each video times and times again "so this is going to be the 720p video for download, this is going to be the smartphone streaming one, this the desktop one, this the 'under 3G connection' one and so on".

But my problem with all that is not that it required way more effort than upload on YouTube and let it do much of the job for me, my problem is that during the period when all now famous YouTubers were rising to fame I was tilting at windmills!

you check how much small websites with an x number of x00,000 views are spending, even without considering video streaming services, and you will change your idea about creating such website .

You don't really want to know the billions that Youtube is spending just for the bandwidth .

There are websites like vimeo that offer "pro" services that are kinda like a dedicated hosting just for your videos

https://vimeo.com/upgrade 

i don't think a p2p will work in egypt very well

our internet is a piece of  shit

avg of 2Mbs 

a 720p video will work fine
but not a p2p

It would help a lot if you gave us more informations, mainly what the heck do you need this for.

I assume you are in need of a way to share privately videos within a certain community, otherwise I cannot really see a reason why you wouldn't just use YouTube.

Some years ago I had this idea of "going against YouTube" because I was tired of copyright strikes and for some reason I believed that hiding my videos on some crappy server would let me using whatever music track I wanted, and I was kind of right.

I signed up for an hosting on GoDaddy, uploading times were a nightmare, and I had to manually re encode each video times and times again "so this is going to be the 720p video for download, this is going to be the smartphone streaming one, this the desktop one, this the 'under 3G connection' one and so on".

But my problem with all that is not that it required way more effort than upload on YouTube and let it do much of the job for me, my problem is that during the period when all now famous YouTubers were rising to fame I was tilting at windmills!

im pretty sure youtube won't copyright strike if its private/unlisted

and theres always Google Drive :)

+ a server for processing 

it will be a network for *egyptian and arab gamers*

with a 25k avg

why not youtube

cuz the most famous youtuber in egypt is 40k subs

so not a lot of money

+ a better community for the good youtubers

*no noobs*

whats wrong with youtube?

YOU NEED At LEAST 30 GIGABYTES per second for 25k avg OF bandwith

so, i decided to calculate cost roughly here. i picked the cheapest dedicated server host i know of, and multiplied by the amount required to *theoretically* reach that bandwidth.

€7200/mo + €28800 setup fees.

a storage server with a ton of space and good bandwidth
whats the proplem
and servers *maybe VPS servers* for the website and processing

so, i decided to calculate cost roughly here. i picked the cheapest dedicated server host i know of, and multiplied by the amount required to *theoretically* reach that bandwidth.

€7200/mo + €28800 setup fees.

1 server wouldn't work

the way youtube does it is is spreads the copies to multiple servers, and sub servers in cities depending on how popular the vid is.

1 server wouldn't work

the way youtube does it is is spreads the copies to multiple servers, and sub servers in cities depending on how popular the vid is.

egypt

egypt

and egypt

so no problem with this

egypt

egypt

and egypt

so no problem with this

yes... xD

I don't think there is a 30GB's connection anywhere xD

you wee still need lots of servers for to balance things out.

so what about
a server for processing
one for the main website
storage servers for videos
all rented
why not

so what about

a server for processing

one for the main website

all rented

why not

What is your yearly income?

and i will increase the servers when i get more money 

im pretty sure youtube won't copyright strike if its private/unlisted

and theres always Google Drive :)

There is now, I'm talking about back in... 2011/2012 I think it was.

will
you can say 0
but this project is all about sponsers and shit
*iam 16*

so what about

a server for processing

one for the main website

all rented

why not

if you want to simplify all of that just use vimeo.com pro services or any other equivalent web service ( if there any like that in Egypt ) .

Vimeo even gives you the option to sell your videos with the top 2 business plans .

will

you can say 0

but this project is all about sponsers and shit

*iam 16*

0 way 16 year old can afford this setup.

sponsors will
i have emails of asus corsair saphirre egypt
+ big stores of pc hardware

1 server wouldn't work

well, i'll share the math, to see if my logic makes sense.

30GB/s

-> 240Gbps

the box i found was €6 for 200Mbps guaranteed (yes, guaranteed, they dont actually know how fast it'll be going in the end, its that kind of host)

240000/200 = 1200 

1200*6=€7200/mo

however, theres a €20 setup fee per box:

1200*20 = €24000 setup cost (my math went wrong somewhere earlier, blame 3AM i guess)

--

this is a rough estimation, and its *only* the streaming servers, you'll also need some MASSIVE storage to back this up, probably costing several times more.

at least this pays a picture about why you dont get much payout from stuff like youtube i guess...

sponsors will

i have emails of asus corsair saphirre egypt

+ big stores of pc hardware

well, i'll share the math, to see if my logic makes sense.

30GB/s

-> 240Gbps

the box i found was €6 for 200Mbps guaranteed (yes, guaranteed, they dont actually know how fast it'll be going in the end, its that kind of host)

240000/200 = 1200 

1200*6=€7200/mo

however, theres a €20 setup fee per box:

1200*20 = €24000 setup cost (my math went wrong somewhere earlier, blame 3AM i guess)

--

this is a rough estimation, and its *only* the streaming servers, you'll also need some MASSIVE storage to back this up, probably costing several times more.

at least this pays a picture about why you dont get much payout from stuff like youtube i guess...

and this is per MONTH