e8400 not supported in Windows 10

capdauntless
Go to solution Solved by capdauntless,

Just wanted to update everyone on this. It looks like the lastest wave of Windows Updates on Windows 7 has remedied the cpu compatibility issue. I will mark this as answered.

I know that the e8400 is more than powerful enough to run Windows 10 and I know of people that have installed windows 10 on systems with e8400 processors but when I run the upgrade I get an error that the cpu is not supported. Running the upgrade with the media creation tool gets me a little more specific error of compareexchange128 not supported. I know from research that the e8400 does support this.

Processor Intel e8400

Motherboard Intel DQ35JO

Memory 5GB 667MHz DDR2

Hard Drive Toshiba 500GB

Are there any settings in the bios that must be changed? 

Yup, you'd run W10, you've a problem.

We could start with your RAM setup. Is it a perfect setup(for example 2x512 MB + 2x2 GB) or a random mix?

This is a signature.

No.

The CPU was not designed to run Win10 well, therefore, it doesn't want to run Windows 10.

Switch to Linux.

The CPU might not have instructions that Windows 10 needs

However it does have them. It has the one that the installer says it lacks... so... could be the same issue W8.1 had, could be the mb or another thousand things

And JIC you ask: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20E8400%20EU80570PJ0806M%20-%20AT80570PJ0806M%20(BX80570E8400).html

Additional instructions: CMPXCHG16B aka compareexchange128

This is a signature.

BIOS update?

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

However it does have them. It has the one that the installer says it lacks... so... could be the same issue W8.1 had, could be the mb or another thousand things

And JIC you ask: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20E8400%20EU80570PJ0806M%20-%20AT80570PJ0806M%20(BX80570E8400).html

Additional instructions: CMPXCHG16B aka compareexchange128

Okay so it's probably the motherboard. I doubt it's really anything else.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I have the same problem 

Processor Intel e8400

mobo: ASRock P43R1600Twins-Wifi

And related to this virtualization isn't working for quite some time,2 years back I remember that i could set in virtualbox acceleration but now it's deactivated. I check in bios no execute memory protection it's enabled and virtualization sometimes it's greyed out like not supported but sometimes is not and it's enabled.Also the bios is the latest version P1.90

On the internet it says E8400 should have all the needed features.

Any idea what's wrong here?

Definitely something is wrong, i have a htpc with a E4300 running a Windows 10 insider copy and ran like a charm since the beginning, cant believe this even less powerful cpu can run it and the E8400 cant,there must be something wrong

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Forgot I posted here.

The DQ35JO is up to it's latest BIOS. I even tried reflashing as that sometimes helps but it did not in this case. I have read that it is easy to get Windows 10 going on 32bit with the e8400 but then I lose the extra memory I have in the system. 

Memory is exactly as mentioned. 2x2048MB and 2x512MB. All kvr667 from kingston.

I mean I don't mind sticking with Windows 7 but I am really liking 10 and I'd like to have access to the new Direct X as this system is actually not too shabby for gaming (though I have a different system built for that).

Okay so it's probably the motherboard. I doubt it's really anything else.

I'd agree with this to a point. I am thinking I am missing a setting in the motherboard that needs to be set but no one seems to have any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone on this. It looks like the lastest wave of Windows Updates on Windows 7 has remedied the cpu compatibility issue. I will mark this as answered.

• 5 years later...
On 8/23/2015 at 12:20 AM, capdauntless said:

I know that the e8400 is more than powerful enough to run Windows 10 and I know of people that have installed windows 10 on systems with e8400 processors but when I run the upgrade I get an error that the cpu is not supported. Running the upgrade with the media creation tool gets me a little more specific error of compareexchange128 not supported. I know from research that the e8400 does support this.

Processor Intel e8400

Motherboard Intel DQ35JO

Memory 5GB 667MHz DDR2

Hard Drive Toshiba 500GB

Are there any settings in the bios that must be changed? 

Windows 7 is good for your machine.

• 3 months later...

Windows 10 on that cpu, It is very smoothly but you need these things to run, G41 Motherboard + @ least 8 GB DDR 3 1333MHz Rams (4GB*2) even 16GB DDR3 1333MHz Rams are (8GB*2) better for Windows 10 + Solid State Drive (Samsung is the best) + old decent graphics card like GTX 750 Ti for better GPU hardware acceleration & this GPU is great compitibility to this CPU & sometimes you need USB Sound Card because sometimes onboard sound isn't supported to windows 10, also you need to change your current bios settings to default bios settings. Only issue with this CPU with Windows 10 if you are plan to play GTA 5 on this puppy your game textures are gone, other games & softwares are fine with this CPU & Windows 10. If you aren't playing GTA 5 on this puppy with Windows 10, Windows 10 is the best Operating System for this CPU.

ROX SAVEEN.png

On 5/19/2021 at 11:41 AM, ROX SAVEEN said:

Windows 10 on that cpu, It is very smoothly but you need these things to run, G41 Motherboard + @ least 8 GB DDR 3 1333MHz Rams (4GB*2) even 16GB DDR3 1333MHz Rams are (8GB*2) better for Windows 10 + Solid State Drive (Samsung is the best) + old decent graphics card like GTX 750 Ti for better GPU hardware acceleration & this GPU is great compitibility to this CPU & sometimes you need USB Sound Card because sometimes onboard sound isn't supported to windows 10, also you need to change your current bios settings to default bios settings. Only issue with this CPU with Windows 10 if you are plan to play GTA 5 on this puppy your game textures are gone, other games & softwares are fine with this CPU & Windows 10. If you aren't playing GTA 5 on this puppy with Windows 10, Windows 10 is the best Operating System for this CPU.

ROX SAVEEN.png

You can also dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 10 if you are planning to play GTA 5.