Hello All, o/. First Post Here and I just had a question for linus or anyone else who knows the answer. I've beenn recently watching his Audio Product Video's Playlist and kept getting cofused sometimes with headphones so as to confuse me on what was the absolute best you could get for $300-$500. So my main question whilst watching his video's was what his opinion on the absolute best HeadPhones for Listening to music was in a 3-5 hundred dollar price range.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school" - Einstein

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should.

Philips Fidelio X2 for best under $300, Hifiman HE-500 best under $500.

Of course, that is dependent on the sound siggy that works for your tastes.

Welcome! Linus rarely replies as he is a busy man, but I would easily recommend the Shure SRH-1540 :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

You should have posted this over in Audio. Anyway, its going to be completely subjective in that range of earphones,  people will value some features over others.

Well what style are you looking for, like low noise, on ear, over ear, open frame so there is more noise, studio or dj?

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Oh hey again Chasem thanks for the help before btw dude

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Wow, did not expect this many replies so quickly. Anyway, i'm not sure on most of the things i'm looking for but i'm Deffinitely Looking for Over-Ear, Closed Back, so i think that means they commpletely cover your ears. And I am not completely sure on the difference between Studio and DJ.

Also I'm Sorry about the post being in General Discussion, Wasn't sure there was a Sub-Forum for it. So i just kinda threw this inn General.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school" - Einstein

Anything over 100$ is just personal presence ihmo. I went with audio technica m50s(half your budget) because they had a flat response, and I could grow from there.

Make sure you buy from a place with a return policy, or try in person. Because headphones are just like taste. There might be a 150$ pair that "sounds better" then the actual "best" for 300$.

Also, i think it ight be important to mention that All i have currently to listen with are Beat's Solo's, No i'm Not black(No Racism Intended); No I Don't Care That Their Bad, I Know This. Also They Were A Gift.

So I'm Really open to anything that's better than these already falling apart headphones.

Here are the best DJ headphones and a personal favorite and if you have any doubts, pioneer the most legendary and ultra pro dj set ups you can buy.  Don't tell me I'm wrong haters look it up!  But these are the DJ headphones here btw use Linus' affiliate code so he can get a kickback from amazon!

Pioneer HDJ-2000MK2 Professional DJ Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000MK2-Professional-Headphones-Silver/dp/B00T2UC68S/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440125758&sr=1-39&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Here are some straight ballin' Studio style pro headphones for you and I will show you 2 studio styles one open frame and one closed.  AKG is a legendary brand and are constantly requested on MassDrop so you will not be disappointed with these AKG's trust me.

AKG K 701 Studio Reference Headphones - Open

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-701-Studio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440126242&sr=1-1&keywords=studio+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Here are closed back studio headphones

Sony MDR7520 Professional Studio Headphones, Black

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7520-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004Z58VZ2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440126242&sr=1-3&keywords=studio+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Here is a good pair of over ear headphones.  Now don't forget these will only sit on top of your ears now and it won't hug them lol.  I know these are under your budget a little but I'm telling you, you'd be hard pressed to find a pair of on ear headphones that are better because right now these are the best on the market!

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Headphone - Black

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ref=twister_B00EDCRW84?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Now I'll show you the closed back style, and yes we're almost at the end xD lol.  These are closed back, over ear headphones.  I don't care what the commercials say because they are not studio headphones and are good luxury super high quality sounding headphones for music and stuff.  Plus the build quality is phenomenal and will last you a life time.

Shure SRH1540 Premium Closed-Back Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440127238&sr=1-3&keywords=headphones+shure&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Ok for the last pair we have an open frame so there won't be total noise cancellation but the sound is just incredible.  It uses super special planar magnetic drivers which are only for super high quality headphones because they aren't your standard dynamic drivers found in like beats by dre which are not super good.

HIFIMAN HE400i Over Ear Full-size Planar Magnetic Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400i-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440127604&sr=1-9&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Sorry it took so long to post but, legit I researched reviews and stuff lol but some was just personal knowledge,

So there ya go!  that's the whole shebang!  Oh and btw on the shure headphones people commonly ask if the ear caps are real carbon fiber and YES IT IS REAL CARBONZ FIBERZ.  so yeah they do have great build quality but personally they could have done a bit better with the base because it's warm but not as heavy as I'd like.  That doesn't make 'em bad at all I just like a bit more bass but the sound is crystal clear!

Talk about a post. Needs a tldr.

Here are the best DJ headphones and a personal favorite and if you have any doubts, pioneer the most legendary and ultra pro dj set ups you can buy.  Don't tell me I'm wrong haters look it up!  But these are the DJ headphones here btw use Linus' affiliate code so he can get a kickback from amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000MK2-Professional-Headphones-Silver/dp/B00T2UC68S/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440125758&sr=1-39&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Here are some straight ballin' Studio style pro headphones for you and I will show you 2 studio styles one open frame and one closed.  AKG is a legendary brand and are constantly requested on MassDrop so you will not be disappointed with these AKG's trust me.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-701-Studio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440126242&sr=1-1&keywords=studio+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7520-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004Z58VZ2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440126242&sr=1-3&keywords=studio+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Here is a good pair of over ear headphones.  Now don't forget these will only sit on top of your ears now and it won't hug them lol.  I know these are under your budget a little but I'm telling you, you'd be hard pressed to find a pair of on ear headphones that are better because right now these are the best on the market!

Now I'll show you the closed back style, and yes we're almost at the end xD lol.  These are closed back, over ear headphones.  I don't care what the commercials say because they are not studio headphones and are good luxury super high quality sounding headphones for music and stuff.  Plus the build quality is phenomenal and will last you a life time.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440127238&sr=1-3&keywords=headphones+shure&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Ok for the last pair we have an open frame so there won't be total noise cancellation but the sound is just incredible.  It uses super special planar magnetic drivers which are only for super high quality headphones because they aren't your standard dynamic drivers found in like beats by dre which are not super good.

http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400i-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440127604&sr=1-9&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000

Sorry it took so long to post but, legit I researched reviews and stuff lol but some was just personal knowledge,

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Talk about a post. Needs a tldr.

Nothin' here

Hello All, o/. First Post Here and I just had a question for linus or anyone else who knows the answer. I've beenn recently watching his Audio Product Video's Playlist and kept getting cofused sometimes with headphones so as to confuse me on what was the absolute best you could get for $300-$500. So my main question whilst watching his video's was what his opinion on the absolute best HeadPhones for Listening to music was in a 3-5 hundred dollar price range.

Fidelio X2 or Hifiman HE-500.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Whoa, chill. I just thought that it would be easier for others to reqd with a tldr. Sorry.:(. And btw, I didn't mean to quote the whole post. On a phone :/

No one asked for your opinion on a post that I worked hard to make.  I'm just answering a question for a fellow LTT forum member that needed serious help.  I'm sorry I didn't random post a half baked idea with no substance behind it.  Seriously why does it bother you that I gave a thorough and serious answer to a question?  It's supposed to be a supportive community and not whatever you envision it being.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Sorry for gettin' all defensive and frustrated!  Legit i'm sorry man.  Im just mad because of some dumb trigger happy admin I had a run in with :P

Replies are in red

Its overpriced for its sound quality

Having owned these, they are incredibly dry and lack a fair lot of bass. Legendary for gaming, though... not so much for everyday listening.

I can't really criticize Sony's headphones. its pretty good, actually.

Op's better off with the HD600 due to OP's budget anyways...

I'd recommend this, too. I actually like these headphones. But yeah, since the Fidelio X2 exists... I can't recommend these over that unless closed back is a must.

These are some of the most un-Planar Magnetic sounding Planar Magnetic headphones around. How Hifiman screwed that up is beyond me...

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Thanks dudes, I appreciate it greatly. Also humblemobo( or anyone really ) if you have any more headphones on a list of yours or whatever I would greatly appreciate if you made a long post like the earlier one about some great headphones that are more to some specifics that I would want. I have done a little poking around and I can thoroughly know what I'm looking for.

I really like the sound of closed back headphones that are comfortable to wear for prolonged use and look good as well as produce amazing sound quality. I'd prefer dj headphones although ii don't dj anywhere or anything like that but I like the sound of highlighted areas and studios seems to be flat and boring. Also my budget can accommodate well above $1000 if it needs to, but most of the really good headphones that price around $350-$500 seem to be pretty popular. I listen to a lot of hard Rock metalish genres and bands like disturbed god smack and hinder as well as bass boosted trap songs that sound good. Don't know if my music tastes can help but would love to see more recommendations.

Edit: I am also completely open and willing to try open-back as well, I prefer closed back though because I grew up mainly with closed.

I can vouch for the Philips X2s as well, haven't heard the HE-500s.

X2s are open, but don't leak a ton of sound, and very comfortable, I also think they are some of the best looking cans in person. Heck if your willing to spend 1000 get both!

Thanks dudes, I appreciate it greatly. Also humblemobo( or anyone really ) if you have any more headphones on a list of yours or whatever I would greatly appreciate if you made a long post like the earlier one about some great headphones that are more to some specifics that I would want. I have done a little poking around and I can thoroughly know what I'm looking for.

I really like the sound of closed back headphones that are comfortable to wear for prolonged use and look good as well as produce amazing sound quality. I'd prefer dj headphones although ii don't dj anywhere or anything like that but I like the sound of highlighted areas and studios seems to be flat and boring. Also my budget can accommodate well above $1000 if it needs to, but most of the really good headphones that price around $350-$500 seem to be pretty popular. I listen to a lot of hard Rock metalish genres and bands like disturbed god smack and hinder as well as bass boosted trap songs that sound good. Don't know if my music tastes can help but would love to see more recommendations.

Edit: I am also completely open and willing to try open-back as well, I prefer closed back though because I grew up mainly with closed.

If, for some reason unbeknownst to me, you do find a TH900 for UNDER $1000 at the best condition possible for a second hand or brand new because a store decided to put them on sale for that low, get that one.

Other than that, Fidelio X2 and HE-500. As much as I kinda want to recommend the HD600, the price to performance is beaten by the X2, IMHO, while the HE-500 is just in a league of its own. The HE-500 is the Charlie Sheen of headphones, if not the headphone alternative of cocaine.

You might like the V-Moda M100. Decent quality, lots of fun bass. I would recommend this over something like the Sennheiser HD8 DJ.

You might like the Hifiman HE-400 (non-s, non-i). Planar magnetic, has major bass extension and impact that is hard to get with normal dynamic headphones. Minor upper-mid recess, bright treble.

You might like the Shure SRH-1540. Comfy and closed-back, just don't play it too loud - sound falls apart a little at extreme volume.

You would probably like MrSpeakers Alpha Prime or Fostex TH900. Planar magnetics again, with lots of bass without being overdone. Expensive.

-

My top picks remain the X2 or HE-500. Given your preference for a comfortable closed headphone, I'll add the SRH-1540, as it is lighter and more comfortable than the HE-500.

You might like the V-Moda M100. Decent quality, lots of fun bass. I would recommend this over something like the Sennheiser HD8 DJ.

You might like the Hifiman HE-400 (non-s, non-i). Planar magnetic, has major bass extension and impact that is hard to get with normal dynamic headphones. Minor upper-mid recess, bright treble.

You might like the Shure SRH-1540. Comfy and closed-back, just don't play it too loud - sound falls apart a little at extreme volume.

You would probably like MrSpeakers Alpha Prime or Fostex TH900. Planar magnetics again, with lots of bass without being overdone. Expensive.

-

My top picks remain the X2 or HE-500. Given your preference for a comfortable closed headphone, I'll add the SRH-1540, as it is lighter and more comfortable than the HE-500.

HE-400i is also a great pick, less peaky in the 10-13kHz range which a lot of people seem to dislike about he HE-500

Replies are in red

I chose sennheiser momentums because they are on ear, the HD600's are open frame over ears which I already covered with the HiFi Man  Oh and spencer you are darn right about the studios the sound is flatter but these heaphones will give you real, bass and treble while not being like a fake thing like in beats.

And if you have a 1000 dollar USD price range here get a DAC and amp, I prefer Schiit because you will not need studio grade headphones and these will make 'em sound a lot better.  I also recommend a Dark Voice tube amp it's a bit more enthusiast grade but you'll be fine

I chose sennheiser momentums because they are on ear, the HD600's are open frame over ears which I already covered with the HiFi Man  

And you chose it without thinking of maximizing OP's budget.