Friend's first desktop! *a single tear*

Ktk

My friend is between casual and competitive playing, with games like CSGO, SC2, DOTA, but with this new computer he expects to play some AAA games in addition to some virtual machine shenanigans for Linux programming while on Windows. (inb4 steam on linux?)

He's stepping up from a 4-year old Dell laptop <<< the only personal computer he has ever owned... I cri eryti,

Main Question: Any Micro ATX case recommendations?

The case/cooler in the build are placeholders because he doesn't like the look of the TJ08 and I'm not sure about Hyper212 clearance in some cases. :P

edit: I'd prefer air cooled because it's his first build. I'm recommending parts so he can build it (across the country).

The link! Thoughts? RAM's a little meh for VMs, He can upgrade the ram later.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WmhwQ7

tl;dr: Know any good micro atx cases? "Typical" gaming/work build at ~1400 with 144Hz monitor, i7 4790K, GTX 970.

Current: i7 990x / GTX 950 / 12 GB RAM / Micro ATX

Waiting for the next amazing Mini ITX case!

Get an evga psu. The 750 semi modular for 55$ is great.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I'd do something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: PNY CS1111 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($90.00 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1467.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-19 01:57 EDT-0400

System: Thinkpad T460

That Zalman cooler is soooooo noisy. I through it off my balcony when I turned that thing on. BTW this is no joke. Get something like a low profile noctua.

Aaron... The Spicy Turnip

*RAISES THE MIGHTY 8800 GTX WITH SOME ADDED LIGHTNING EFFECTS*

THOU SHALL NOT.

be advised to go with a crappy PSU.

go with a Xeon E3, H97 board, maybe a 212 evo and get something like a V650 Cooler master. or XFX XTR. Corsair CX's are shady as heck.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($341.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($54.05 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97M Killer Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($52.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1494.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-19 05:41 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

@SpicyTurnip good call on the noise factor on the Zalman! Thanks. 

Will look into better PSUs. In the past I just went with CM and Seasonic but didn't know Corsair PSUs were so poor in quality, wow.

Lots of recs for the Cryorig H7. Will plop that in there as well, and will advise for a Corsair 350D. Yall are great.

Current: i7 990x / GTX 950 / 12 GB RAM / Micro ATX

Waiting for the next amazing Mini ITX case!

@SpicyTurnip good call on the noise factor on the Zalman! Thanks. 

Will look into better PSUs. In the past I just went with CM and Seasonic but didn't know Corsair PSUs were so poor in quality, wow.

Lots of recs for the Cryorig H7. Will plop that in there as well, and will advise for a Corsair 350D. Yall are great.

Corsair's PSU's are a bit of a 50/50, you got one great side with like the HX/HXi AX/AXi and now the RMi it looks like too, but then you got the not so great side with the RM CS and the best to avoid side like the CX and VS

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD